Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Mercy racing oil (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/356890-mercy-racing-oil.html)

offshorefisher 09-26-2018 01:48 AM

Mercy racing oil

anyone using the new Merc racing gear oil? I wonder how it compares to Bravoshop Neo or Amsoil.

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 06:47 AM

Your going to have to post a pic or explain which of the "new" Merc lubes your referring to. They have changed a few times along with the names of each.

AllDodge 09-26-2018 07:31 AM

Seen this question in another forum, and as far as I can tell its just another promo hype. Was 80W90 HP, then 90W HP and now racing 80W90. There are no specs that I can find for marine gear lube so all marketing

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 08:17 AM

Ton of info in this thread, I called Mercury Racing and got the facts straight from them. https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ubes-same.html

BUP 09-26-2018 10:18 AM

the Quicksilver EXTREME is the Merc racing gear oil , IMO currently this is not as good of an oil when it first came out. I am not saying its a bad oil by no means to be clear. I think one could do better for a 20 dollar per qt gear oil,

Middle of the road marketed the Merc HIGH PERFORMANCE gear oil is a GL IV spec so if one has a drive calling for a GL V spec gear oil it should not be used. Volvo calls for GL V spec gear oil for one example it is a 80 w 90

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 10:39 AM

^ This exactly, Hi-Performance is the base oil now and Extreme Performance is for XR thru M8. Mercury Racing and Quicksilver Extreme Performance are the same oil, different package.

Ryan00TJ 09-27-2018 04:38 PM

First season running the Merc Racing 85w90 oil. Bought a 5gal pail last fall for $250. I've ran the Hi Performance forever till now. Interesting observation...always had to keep topping off the drive reservoir thru the season with the high performance. No leaks, psi and vac tested drive. With the new Merc Racing oil, I never needed to top off like before. Also, no nasty sludge in bottom of reservoir like the green Hi Performance oil.

Brembofreak 09-28-2018 01:48 AM

I see exact same! like more the colour as you see better when something wrong with the drive!
Michael

BUP 09-28-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ (Post 4651523)
First season running the Merc Racing 85w90 oil. Bought a 5gal pail last fall for $250. I've ran the Hi Performance forever till now. Interesting observation...always had to keep topping off the drive reservoir thru the season with the high performance. No leaks, psi and vac tested drive. With the new Merc Racing oil, I never needed to top off like before. Also, no nasty sludge in bottom of reservoir like the green Hi Performance oil.

Ryan or whomever ----quick jist here to make sure 100 percent your not leaking gear oil. Just because the reservoir stays full means nothing that the outdrive itself is not leaking. It does not take much to plug and or a small kink in the reservoir line or any oil paths restriction down thru to the outdrive. Not uncommon for this to take place - ( a restriction that keeps the oil level full in the reservoir ).

I would put the outdrive dead level and unscrew the vent screw completely out - does gear oil come out ? if so or if not - stick a thin straw or tie wrap thru the vent hole and see if you get gear oil on it. if not keep bending the straw or tie wrap down ward to see where the oil level is at.

The deal for phantom gear oil leaks a short jist of it ---- is when the prop spins it creates a vacuum, the faster the prop spins the more vacuum force is created - this actually can pull the gear oil out past the prop seal. You can pressure test all day long and will hold pressure 100 percent. . Pressure testing is a good test to perform but is NOT a 100 percent valid test for the phantom gear oil leaks especially without fast prop rotation.

Bravo 3 are more the norm for this exact phantom gear oil leak. actually all drives are but less common than the Bravo 3. That one is extremely common --- the Bravo 3.

AllDodge 09-28-2018 10:46 AM

Fill mine up on a stand, and once it comes out the vent, put vent and drain plug back in. Lift off stand and lay on the floor with vent hole up, remove vent and pour lube in until full. Put vent plug back in and install. It will still drop a little for the first few hours, but not as much if I just filled to the vent. Keeps me from adding lube so often until drive is full