Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Mercy racing oil (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/356890-mercy-racing-oil.html)

offshorefisher 09-26-2018 01:48 AM

Mercy racing oil

anyone using the new Merc racing gear oil? I wonder how it compares to Bravoshop Neo or Amsoil.

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 06:47 AM

Your going to have to post a pic or explain which of the "new" Merc lubes your referring to. They have changed a few times along with the names of each.

AllDodge 09-26-2018 07:31 AM

Seen this question in another forum, and as far as I can tell its just another promo hype. Was 80W90 HP, then 90W HP and now racing 80W90. There are no specs that I can find for marine gear lube so all marketing

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 08:17 AM

Ton of info in this thread, I called Mercury Racing and got the facts straight from them. https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ubes-same.html

BUP 09-26-2018 10:18 AM

the Quicksilver EXTREME is the Merc racing gear oil , IMO currently this is not as good of an oil when it first came out. I am not saying its a bad oil by no means to be clear. I think one could do better for a 20 dollar per qt gear oil,

Middle of the road marketed the Merc HIGH PERFORMANCE gear oil is a GL IV spec so if one has a drive calling for a GL V spec gear oil it should not be used. Volvo calls for GL V spec gear oil for one example it is a 80 w 90

VoodooRob 09-26-2018 10:39 AM

^ This exactly, Hi-Performance is the base oil now and Extreme Performance is for XR thru M8. Mercury Racing and Quicksilver Extreme Performance are the same oil, different package.

Ryan00TJ 09-27-2018 04:38 PM

First season running the Merc Racing 85w90 oil. Bought a 5gal pail last fall for $250. I've ran the Hi Performance forever till now. Interesting observation...always had to keep topping off the drive reservoir thru the season with the high performance. No leaks, psi and vac tested drive. With the new Merc Racing oil, I never needed to top off like before. Also, no nasty sludge in bottom of reservoir like the green Hi Performance oil.

Brembofreak 09-28-2018 01:48 AM

I see exact same! like more the colour as you see better when something wrong with the drive!
Michael

BUP 09-28-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ (Post 4651523)
First season running the Merc Racing 85w90 oil. Bought a 5gal pail last fall for $250. I've ran the Hi Performance forever till now. Interesting observation...always had to keep topping off the drive reservoir thru the season with the high performance. No leaks, psi and vac tested drive. With the new Merc Racing oil, I never needed to top off like before. Also, no nasty sludge in bottom of reservoir like the green Hi Performance oil.

Ryan or whomever ----quick jist here to make sure 100 percent your not leaking gear oil. Just because the reservoir stays full means nothing that the outdrive itself is not leaking. It does not take much to plug and or a small kink in the reservoir line or any oil paths restriction down thru to the outdrive. Not uncommon for this to take place - ( a restriction that keeps the oil level full in the reservoir ).

I would put the outdrive dead level and unscrew the vent screw completely out - does gear oil come out ? if so or if not - stick a thin straw or tie wrap thru the vent hole and see if you get gear oil on it. if not keep bending the straw or tie wrap down ward to see where the oil level is at.

The deal for phantom gear oil leaks a short jist of it ---- is when the prop spins it creates a vacuum, the faster the prop spins the more vacuum force is created - this actually can pull the gear oil out past the prop seal. You can pressure test all day long and will hold pressure 100 percent. . Pressure testing is a good test to perform but is NOT a 100 percent valid test for the phantom gear oil leaks especially without fast prop rotation.

Bravo 3 are more the norm for this exact phantom gear oil leak. actually all drives are but less common than the Bravo 3. That one is extremely common --- the Bravo 3.

AllDodge 09-28-2018 10:46 AM

Fill mine up on a stand, and once it comes out the vent, put vent and drain plug back in. Lift off stand and lay on the floor with vent hole up, remove vent and pour lube in until full. Put vent plug back in and install. It will still drop a little for the first few hours, but not as much if I just filled to the vent. Keeps me from adding lube so often until drive is full

Ryan00TJ 09-28-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4651647)

Ryan or whomever ----quick jist here to make sure 100 percent your not leaking gear oil. Just because the reservoir stays full means nothing that the outdrive itself is not leaking. It does not take much to plug and or a small kink in the reservoir line or any oil paths restriction down thru to the outdrive. Not uncommon for this to take place - ( a restriction that keeps the oil level full in the reservoir ).

I would put the outdrive dead level and unscrew the vent screw completely out - does gear oil come out ? if so or if not - stick a thin straw or tie wrap thru the vent hole and see if you get gear oil on it. if not keep bending the straw or tie wrap down ward to see where the oil level is at.

The deal for phantom gear oil leaks a short jist of it ---- is when the prop spins it creates a vacuum, the faster the prop spins the more vacuum force is created - this actually can pull the gear oil out past the prop seal. You can pressure test all day long and will hold pressure 100 percent. . Pressure testing is a good test to perform but is NOT a 100 percent valid test for the phantom gear oil leaks especially without fast prop rotation.

Bravo 3 are more the norm for this exact phantom gear oil leak. actually all drives are but less common than the Bravo 3. That one is extremely common --- the Bravo 3.

John, appreciate the reply. Will check the vent hole for oil. I relocated the reservoir to transom this past spring. Hose looked good and was clear. No leaks on drive seals or into u joint bellows. No visible water in oil. Magnet looks great.

AllDodge 09-28-2018 05:22 PM

Been looking around for best price and found 5 gal and they charge shipping
PPT at 265.48
https://www.perfprotech.com/gearlube...product/518798
BAM at 277.97
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/8m00...gearlube-5-gal

Free ship
Amazon at 281.97
Ebay is 281.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...-/361859213081
PartsVu is 269.12
https://www.partsvu.com/gearlube-5-gallon.html

thirdchildhood 09-29-2018 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4651709)

So who has the best price for the quart bottles?

AllDodge 09-29-2018 09:13 AM

Can get at Walmart (+tax) or ebay (no tax) for 20.59, free ship
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...-/271546913945

Can get it at Crowley 16.99 and BAM 17.96 for less but appears shipping is in the 20 something ship charge. If more is bought the ship goes up slightly for each
Wholesale Marine is out of stock, but if they get more in at same price this would be where to get it at 15.16

BUP 09-29-2018 09:52 AM

12 qts shipped $ 215 USA only -- And no Hawaii or Alaska that would be extra shipping

BUY AS MUCH AS YOU WANT but 12 qt min. The more you buy the price will go down

drumerjb 09-30-2018 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ (Post 4651523)

Interesting interesting, I've noticed my drives need to be topped off using medium grade high performance oil. I was thinking dealer pinched off oil reservoir line and filled till top vent and maybe oil didn't find its natural level yet. I'm running Bravo threes. Just drained both drives, oil was black, supposedly changed at 175 hours, boat has 217 on it now. Drive oil was very black nothing on the magnets. I put 17 hours on the boat. we just purchased it. I'm a mechanic at trade and I've been watching.
can the racing oil be used in bravo threes? anybody have any recommendations on this?

AllDodge 10-01-2018 06:49 AM

I to have B3 and they get hotter then other bravo's just cruising. With it getting black its getting hot. Do you have showers on the drives?

drumerjb 10-01-2018 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4651999)
I to have B3 and they get hotter then other bravo's just cruising. With it getting black its getting hot. Do you have showers on the drives?

No not yet on the showers. Doesn t smell burnt. Even the oil in the reservoirs was dirty.
I question whether the oil was ever changed like I was told @ the 177 hour mark. If it was then I think there may be issues? I do not know if oil was changed out regularly. There may be a lot of residue due to lack of changing??
Sorry to the OP for getting off topic. Not trying to steel your thread.

BUP 10-01-2018 09:50 AM

you need to change gear oil bare min once per year regardless of hours anyways. Black gear oil is from heat and oxidized. Way over do for a change. And question mark the quality of the gear oil itself.

If you are racking up hours during the year then IMO On Bravo 3 --- 40 to 50 hours MAX is all would I do for timeframes. between changes.

You always want to check gear oil levels and any moisture content from the drive / gear oil thru out the year as well. It always best to pressure test the drive after draining the gear oil completely out. Not everyone does this procedure but should..

Bravo 3 are leakers thru the prop shaft seal while running. not all but it is NOT uncommon -- more times than not.

drumerjb 10-02-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4652032)
you need to change gear oil bare min once per year regardless of hours anyways. Black gear oil is from heat and oxidized. Way over do for a change. And question mark the quality of the gear oil itself.

If you are racking up hours during the year then IMO On Bravo 3 --- 40 to 50 hours MAX is all would I do for timeframes. between changes.

You always want to check gear oil levels and any moisture content from the drive / gear oil thru out the year as well. It always best to pressure test the drive after draining the gear oil completely out. Not everyone does this procedure but should..

Bravo 3 are leakers thru the prop shaft seal while running. not all but it is NOT uncommon -- more times than not.

I'll take your good advice. :Score-101010:
I talked to James @ Mercury today. He said I should run the newer Racing/Extreme gear lube. So thats what I m going to do.
I probably read 12 hours of threads on oil,gear oil, showers & drive gears in the last 3 nights. It is all sinking in.
I m going to dump the oil after the first run next season & showers are going on.
Any thoughts on flushing gear boxes? Anybody ever do that? Mercury has no experience or recommendations besides changing out fluid.

ICDEDPPL 10-03-2018 09:11 AM

I have found the green Merc oil to be pretty much $hit in my SSM drives.
Everytime I get a drive back rebuilt (always with green stuff) after 10 hrs it starts to expand into my expansion bottles. Drain it and it comes out water thin.
I don`t like that stuff at all.

Severe gear never expands/aerates like that .

RaggedEdge 10-12-2018 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4652482)

As in Amsoil Severe Gear?

ALL_IN! 10-12-2018 12:19 PM

I had same experience in #6's - $hit comes out like water. I went to Severe Gear.

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4652482)
I have found the green Merc oil to be pretty much $hit in my SSM drives.
Everytime I get a drive back rebuilt (always with green stuff) after 10 hrs it starts to expand into my expansion bottles. Drain it and it comes out water thin.
I don`t like that stuff at all.

30outlaw 04-24-2019 12:52 PM

so how well does the green stuff have to be flushed out to change to the yellow? drain and fill or more or less flush as much out as possible?

Brembofreak 04-24-2019 01:03 PM

I have drain out the green oil from bew drive over the winter and mount also clean new lower.
In 10 hours after first change i can tell what colour comes out.I think first 1-2 oilchanges it was a bit green but i will see.
Michael

SB 11-17-2021 08:05 PM

Oops wrong thread. Sorry.