Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Adding extension boxes to SSMIII...INFO PLEASE. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/357937-adding-extension-boxes-ssmiii-info-please.html)

Ironmanwb 12-04-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 4662194)

Yep that is nice set up but the 25K is not gonna happen right now. I am doing a full resto/rebuild to my 36 and the money is already WAY out of hand............opps I guess I will retire at 90. I have an opportunity to buy the boxes and just run what I have but I want to make sure I am going to get some gain out of it or I'm not going to do it.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...-did-i-do.html

compedgemarine 12-04-2018 07:18 PM

adding the boxes at that height will likely hurt you. you said you were going to cut it and run it so does that mean the transom was replaced? and if so why not raise the engines? or is something not allowing the engines to come up.

Ironmanwb 12-05-2018 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4662276)
adding the boxes at that height will likely hurt you. you said you were going to cut it and run it so does that mean the transom was replaced? and if so why not raise the engines? or is something not allowing the engines to come up.

yes new transom glassed in but i cant raise the engines anymore without causing exhaust issues and i am not going to buy new headers and or new tailpieces

Ironmanwb 12-05-2018 05:19 AM

Here is a link to my thread about my cabin project....that is now an everything project .

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/cigarette/344159-cabin-project-what-did-i-do.html

ICDEDPPL 12-06-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by cougarman (Post 4662194)

I bought those drives...

I do have a set of 4`s available.. LH is in great shape the RH needed a new set of lower gears, they are at Collabellas right now. One drive has a big shaft, the other is a small shaft (new) . I ran the Arneson adapter on the smaller shaft drive no big deal.
If you wanted 2 big shaft drives I can do that too , about $1500 for the big shaft.(nows the time since they are apart)
I was just going to keep them for spares..

They come with 2" spacers so you got some room to experiment.

$9k as is (19 and 26 splined shafts)
$10, 500 with new 26 spline big shaft.

4`s are same height as 5`s

I`ve found the best set up is about 1-2" below bottom. The best rooster is even with bottom thou :D

frickstyle 12-06-2018 12:19 PM

With 5s - yes, you should be able to go up or down an inch with the boxes, there are three bolt hole patterns (similar with #3 setup? I dunno). Then you can space down 2". Typically these are setup @ neutral, so you could theoretically go up 1", and down 3" from hull bottom.

I don't think you're going to get what you want with putting the 3s on boxes. Looks like you may be able to achieve <2" up max (factoring in "up".833" w/ 10" box setback, and mount the box on the "highest setting" bolt hole "up" 1" = 1.83")?

F-2 Speedy 12-06-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL;4662483[u
]I bought those drives...[/u]

I do have a set of 4`s available.. LH is in great shape the RH needed a new set of lower gears, they are at Collabellas right now. One drive has a big shaft, the other is a small shaft (new) . I ran the Arneson adapter on the smaller shaft drive no big deal.
If you wanted 2 big shaft drives I can do that too , about $1500 for the big shaft.(nows the time since they are apart)

I`ve found the best set up is about 1-2" below bottom. The best rooster is even with bottom thou :D

So now its 275K.......:7160:

Ironmanwb 12-06-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by frickstyle (Post 4662505)
With 5s - yes, you should be able to go up or down an inch with the boxes, there are three bolt hole patterns (similar with #3 setup? I dunno). Then you can space down 2". Typically these are setup @ neutral, so you could theoretically go up 1", and down 3" from hull bottom.

I don't think you're going to get what you want with putting the 3s on boxes. Looks like you may be able to achieve <2" up max (factoring in "up".833" w/ 10" box setback, and mount the box on the "highest setting" bolt hole "up" 1" = 1.83")?

thats pretty close to what I was guessing doing quick generic math. So my net gain is less than an inch in height.

So if I just run what I have now at the same height and cut the transom can I put 5s on boxes later without cutting or filling the transom?

Ironmanwb 12-06-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL (Post 4662483)
I bought those drives...

I will keep that in mind but right now with the cost of the project I'm probably just going to keep what I have Unless you want to donate.:flag:

i hope we gert to to run together someday.

frickstyle 12-07-2018 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ironmanwb (Post 4662555)

thats pretty close to what I was guessing doing quick generic math. So my net gain is less than an inch in height.

So if I just run what I have now at the same height and cut the transom can I put 5s on boxes later without cutting or filling the transom?

Try to find a pic of a transom cut for IIIs, I know that my transom has very little cutout for the 5s. Basically just enough for the driveshaft to poke thru and some hydraulic lines. I'll look for a pic.