Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
What am I missing???  No forward or reverse engagement! >

What am I missing??? No forward or reverse engagement!

Notices

What am I missing??? No forward or reverse engagement!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing??? No forward or reverse engagement!

I am working on a 1999 Rinker with twin MPI 350 mags with Bravo ones. The Starboard drive all of a sudden would not go into forward or reverse. The shifter and cable were working fine. I pulled off the drive and found the cone clutch was bad and had been slipping to the point it turned the driven upper gear blue. The cone clutch, all the bearings and gears were replaced. I put the drive back on and still no engagement in either forward or reverse. I unhooked the lower shifter cable from the engine shifter mount and worked the cable manually, still no engagement. I pulled the drive back off and worked the shifter mechanism with the drive off the boat and it engages in forward and reverse just fine. I put it back on the boat and it will not work. thinking that maybe the lower shifter cable housing might be collapsing some where, I replaced it with the same result. I had the bright idea to switch the starboard drive with the port side. I put the port drive on the starboard side and wouldn't you know it, no forward or reverse. The drive that I just rebuilt worked awesome on the port side.

so, to recap the starboard lower shifter cable has been replaced, both drives work fine on the port side so its nothing in the drives. I can work the starboard lower shifter cable manually and still no action. This does not make sense, what am I missing???

Last edited by blownsvt1; 07-24-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Remove the drive, grab hold of the end of the cable with pliers, then have someone shift F/N/R while applying resistance to see if it can be held in place
Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Did you check the engine coupler?.....if you can see behind the engine, you should be able to see the input shaft and if it’s turning when running and when in gear
Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blownsvt1
I am working on a 1999 Rinker with twin MPI 350 mags with Bravo ones. The Starboard drive all of a sudden would not go into forward or reverse. The shifter and cable were working fine. I pulled off the drive and found the cone clutch was bad and had been slipping to the point it turned the driven upper gear blue. The cone clutch, all the bearings and gears were replaced. I put the drive back on and still no engagement in either forward or reverse. I unhooked the lower shifter cable from the engine shifter mount and worked the cable manually, still no engagement. I pulled the drive back off and worked the shifter mechanism with the drive off the boat and it engages in forward and reverse just fine. I put it back on the boat and it will not work. thinking that maybe the lower shifter cable housing might be collapsing some where, I replaced it with the same result. I had the bright idea to switch the starboard drive with the port side. I put the port drive on the starboard side and wouldn't you know it, no forward or reverse. The drive that I just rebuilt worked awesome on the port side.

so, to recap the starboard lower shifter cable has been replaced, both drives work fine on the port side so its nothing in the drives. I can work the starboard lower shifter cable manually and still no action. This does not make sense, what am I missing???
Originally Posted by JaayTeee
Did you check the engine coupler?.....if you can see behind the engine, you should be able to see the input shaft and if it’s turning when running and when in gear
One of the first things I checked, its good! I do get it to engage partially in reverse thats why I think I have some type of cable adjustment issue and I am over looking something.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

3 inch