Bravo reservoir empties after running fairly hard >

Bravo reservoir empties after running fairly hard

Notices

Bravo reservoir empties after running fairly hard

Old 07-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Bravo reservoir empties after running fairly hard

I finally got my boat in the water after installing a Daytona Sensors ignition and after running about 10 miles at 70+, my alarm went off. My drive reservoir had emptied all over the bilge. I had my drive serviced by AADS this spring and they did a pressure test so the drive is sealed up tight. I checked the reservoir for cracks and I can't see anything that would cause it to leak. As near as I could tell all the oil came out of the cap. I pulled the top and bottom oil plugs to check if I had water or air in the drive and both drained clean oil. The reservoir holds oil overnight so I think it's ok. I'm running NEO oil so I don't think I have a foaming issue with the oil. I checked my drive temp after running 70+ for awhile and it was barely warm. I'm looking for any suggestions.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m not a mechanic. If you had the drive pressure tested it doesn’t sound like it’s coming out of the outdrive. If your getting oil out the cap and bilge is it possible that the drive is just getting too hot. Do you have a drive shower? I know I had our drive pressure checked and it was all good . But after we run it wot for a while it will loose a little oil. But we have a drive shower. I’m talking about a tablespoon
Old 07-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
I’m not a mechanic. If you had the drive pressure tested it doesn’t sound like it’s coming out of the outdrive. If your getting oil out the cap and bilge is it possible that the drive is just getting too hot. Do you have a drive shower? I know I had our drive pressure checked and it was all good . But after we run it wot for a while it will loose a little oil. But we have a drive shower. I’m talking about a tablespoon
I have a drive shower and the drive barely gets warm. The reservoir totally emptied itself. Really weird, it’s never been a problem before and I’ve had the boat for 10 years.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

But as I understand it - all the oil ended up in the bilge - nothing is leaking external to the boat. There is a fellow on this site BUP - he is a Mercruiser Mechanic- you may want to send him a message
Old 07-07-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Have you talked to George at AADS?

Padraig
Old 07-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

My drive reservoir had emptied all over the bilge.
You need a new lube bottle cap

Assuming your lube bottle is not cracked. The cap has a one way valve in it, and it lets air in, but not out. If the valve gets stuck open, then when the drive heats up even a little, it pushes lube out and all over the bilge. So $10 for a cap or $35 for the bottle and cap
Old 07-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Cap on bottle is possible, or upper input shaft seal. Leaks into bellows and then into boat. I would try cap. Double check integrity of Resivoir and hose. Then call George. Hairline leaks can show up in hoses/plastic bottles with temperature and less oil viscosity
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a GoPro aimed at the reservoir? It means another bilge clean up but you may see where the oil is coming from.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Its the cap. Had the same thing happen.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Registered

I was able to make another run and opened the hatch as soon as I slowed down and I could see the oil streaming down the transom by the top of the reservoir. I’m just going to get a new reservoir and cap to be sure. At $85 a gallon for NEO oil it’s a cheap investment. Where’s a good place to get merc parts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.