Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Noise in upper B3x (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/361995-noise-upper-b3x.html)

woodchop 07-24-2019 06:54 PM

Noise in upper B3x

Just rebuilt a B3x upper and lower. Have a clicking noise in it. It is most noticeable when backing of on the throttle. I have put 50 miles on it since the rebuild but am wondering what I have missed. Any suggestions out there?
woodchop

AllDodge 07-24-2019 07:24 PM

Shift cable adjusted correctly?

woodchop 07-24-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4698452)
Shift cable adjusted correctly?

well. Good question. I adjusted it by shifting it manually while the engine was running. Then matched the hardware so it all fell together. Have not checked it recently but will double check it

woodchop 07-27-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by woodchop (Post 4698461)

well. Good question. I adjusted it by shifting it manually while the engine was running. Then matched the hardware so it all fell together. Have not checked it recently but will double check it

I disconnected the shifter and with the engine idling shifted it manually. The drive shifted well. Then pushed the cable one way and the other then revved the engine.... still have the same noise when decelerating. (Sounds like a playing card on bicycle spokes). So still a mystery
woodchop

AllDodge 07-27-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by woodchop (Post 4698907)

I disconnected the shifter and with the engine idling shifted it manually. The drive shifted well. Then pushed the cable one way and the other then revved the engine.... still have the same noise when decelerating. (Sounds like a playing card on bicycle spokes). So still a mystery
woodchop

You have the noise when shifting manually?

If so, and you don't have it when idling, then I'm thinking its in the upper drive section
Has the gears been removed and timng marks not realigned maybe?

speicher lane 07-27-2019 05:38 PM

How well did you inspect the bearing in the top of the drive on the input behind the yoke? Had a boat through the shop that other marina's put in new u-joints every time... a few of the rollers had flat spots that would almost growl through the transom assembly (u-joint on the way out) and not so much like a playing card while underway.

woodchop 07-27-2019 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by AllDodge (Post 4698909)
You have the noise when shifting manually?

If so, and you don't have it when idling, then I'm thinking its in the upper drive section
Has the gears been removed and timng marks not realigned maybe?

I installed both bearings behind the yoke, aligned the timing marks and also installed new races on the tower bearings. The only time we hear the noise is when we decelerate.

woodchop 07-27-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4698922)
How well did you inspect the bearing in the top of the drive on the input behind the yoke? Had a boat through the shop that other marina's put in new u-joints every time... a few of the rollers had flat spots that would almost growl through the transom assembly (u-joint on the way out) and not so much like a playing card while underway.

we also installed new U-joints. We are getting a vibration at about 2000 RPM I’m confident we have the u-joints in proper but there does appear to be some difference in cross-cap protruding from the yoke which could explain the vibration

AllDodge 07-27-2019 08:43 PM

Not real sure and need a expert with the BX drive, but I have a B3XR and even though my exhaust is loud, I can hear a bit of gear noise all the time at low rpm due to the gear cut