Noise in upper B3x >

Noise in upper B3x

Notices

Noise in upper B3x

Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in upper B3x

Just rebuilt a B3x upper and lower. Have a clicking noise in it. It is most noticeable when backing of on the throttle. I have put 50 miles on it since the rebuild but am wondering what I have missed. Any suggestions out there?
woodchop
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Shift cable adjusted correctly?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Shift cable adjusted correctly?
well. Good question. I adjusted it by shifting it manually while the engine was running. Then matched the hardware so it all fell together. Have not checked it recently but will double check it
Old 07-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by woodchop

well. Good question. I adjusted it by shifting it manually while the engine was running. Then matched the hardware so it all fell together. Have not checked it recently but will double check it
I disconnected the shifter and with the engine idling shifted it manually. The drive shifted well. Then pushed the cable one way and the other then revved the engine.... still have the same noise when decelerating. (Sounds like a playing card on bicycle spokes). So still a mystery
woodchop
Old 07-27-2019, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by woodchop

I disconnected the shifter and with the engine idling shifted it manually. The drive shifted well. Then pushed the cable one way and the other then revved the engine.... still have the same noise when decelerating. (Sounds like a playing card on bicycle spokes). So still a mystery
woodchop
You have the noise when shifting manually?

If so, and you don't have it when idling, then I'm thinking its in the upper drive section
Has the gears been removed and timng marks not realigned maybe?
Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

How well did you inspect the bearing in the top of the drive on the input behind the yoke? Had a boat through the shop that other marina's put in new u-joints every time... a few of the rollers had flat spots that would almost growl through the transom assembly (u-joint on the way out) and not so much like a playing card while underway.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
You have the noise when shifting manually?

If so, and you don't have it when idling, then I'm thinking its in the upper drive section
Has the gears been removed and timng marks not realigned maybe?
I installed both bearings behind the yoke, aligned the timing marks and also installed new races on the tower bearings. The only time we hear the noise is when we decelerate.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
How well did you inspect the bearing in the top of the drive on the input behind the yoke? Had a boat through the shop that other marina's put in new u-joints every time... a few of the rollers had flat spots that would almost growl through the transom assembly (u-joint on the way out) and not so much like a playing card while underway.
we also installed new U-joints. We are getting a vibration at about 2000 RPM I’m confident we have the u-joints in proper but there does appear to be some difference in cross-cap protruding from the yoke which could explain the vibration
Old 07-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Registered

Not real sure and need a expert with the BX drive, but I have a B3XR and even though my exhaust is loud, I can hear a bit of gear noise all the time at low rpm due to the gear cut