Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Bravo drive oil venting? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/365069-bravo-drive-oil-venting.html)

fastlane40 02-21-2020 12:47 AM

Bravo drive oil venting?

Had a gear oil leak coming from the area near the shift bellows.Found oil hose cracked.
While trying to get it off(boat is on a lift still in the water)The fitting at the outer transom broke.
The fitting the hose connects to that runs to the gimbal.Looks like it is plastic?
Firstly is that fitting easily replaced?Boat will have to be lifted out on to hard.
All I could think of was to cut the hose back and seal the end going to the drive.
There is now no way the drive can vent.
Is it okay to run like this until I get the boat out or will oil puke out the yoke seal?

30outlaw 02-21-2020 07:41 AM

pass through fitting

2 Attachment(s)
i believe you are referring to item 1, the pass through fitting for the drive lube.... have fun I had to pull an engine to fix mine that cracked...however i do have ITS and side X side twins. not being staggered created a no room problem and the ITS created a problem that my fitting was actually what 13" outside the transom of the boat.... and no you cant run with out it... you create a water passage into the boat... not to mention the oil/drive issue...

fastlane40 02-21-2020 03:23 PM

Yes item 1.
I did manage to seal the broken barb so no water will get in.
I think from memory some early drives didn't have a reservoir.
Concern now is no pressure relief inside the drive or do I not need it?

Chubbs 02-21-2020 07:59 PM

Mine broke but was able to lay on the motor and get the new one on...just like 30 outlaw said you have to make sure that it comes back to the drive lube bottle so it can breath and stay lubed....if it doesn’t have a reservoir then follow the tube and see where it goes...i got one from ebay for $20.

Chubbs 02-21-2020 08:02 PM

I forgot how to post pics on here...or I would post the ebay listing for you

Chubbs 02-21-2020 08:25 PM

I was thinking of the quick connect on the inside of the transom my bad it was easier than the outter part

fastlane40 02-21-2020 11:25 PM

Yes I know the fitting I need,possibly have 5 of them in the back shed.
To change it I will have to pull it out of the water which I don't want to do yet.
I just need to know if a Bravo will not puke oil without the venting system provided by the oil lube bottle.
Thinking about it i'm positive it will because the 1988 Bravo did not have a reservoir.

Chubbs 02-24-2020 06:08 AM

My 2000 bravo1 will

BUP 02-24-2020 09:48 AM

1988 had no res bottle nor did it have the plastic fitting that breaks all the time. When the fitting was use in 1990 or 1991 in connection with the stock set up using the res bottle that was a metal fitting anyways.

That change from a metal fitting to cheap plastic was later in years. Also the plastic fitting leaked gear oil on the outside of the boat when it broke. It is also a push to connect fitting for the res bottle gear oil line in which can leak there as well but inside the engine compartment.

3pointstar 02-24-2020 06:41 PM

Mine broke at the beginning of last season. You shouldn’t run the boat until it’s fixed. Water could easily get into the drive and that’s not a good thing. I know that the marina didn’t have to
pill the engine to get at this part but it wasn’t easy. Why merc didn’t just use metal in this connection is beyond me.

3pointstar