Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Bravo one drive failed yesyerday (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/367784-bravo-one-drive-failed-yesyerday.html)

cloudmaster_321 08-01-2020 09:36 AM

Bravo one drive failed yesyerday

Was doing 70mph+ yesterday and lost the drive. Shifter won’t move and prop is locked . Also drive lube reservoir was empty. Was full all summer and never moved. After a long tow. And back in the trailer, I pulled the prop to fain access to drain plug. Pulled the plug, lube coming out . Seemed fairly clean but could see metallic in it. Found no evidence of where the oil was going. But I did find the prop shaft is severely twisted. Never seen one so bad. Prop looks normal. So I don’t know what happened. Didn’t come out of the water, and didn’t power up or off any sand bars. I never do that.... Not sure if the coupler is spun yet or not.

What are my options to going to a bigger drive? Ultimately, I’d like to put a XR on, but not sure if it will mount up with out changing a bunch. I do currently have dual ram hydraulic steering from Marine Machine. I’m guessing the hydraulic ram attachment plate won’t mount up to a XR. I’m running 500hp currently, would like to get to 650hp eventually.

Suggestions? Should I just fix my drive and run it, or use the opportunity to upgrade.

Keith Atlanta 08-01-2020 10:46 AM

The age long debate of XR vs X upper gears. Personally I like X gears more but lets see what the forum says...

AllDodge 08-01-2020 12:17 PM

Twisting the prop shaft, think you hit something

Baja Rooster 08-01-2020 01:12 PM

I don’t have any legitimate experience, but a common consensus is that Bravos are cheap enough to just keep a spare one in the truck. XRs hold up a smidge better but the straight cut gears wear out much quicker. The XZ gears seem to be a popular choice.

I agree that you probably hit something. What direction are the splines bent? If they bent in the direction of the prop rotation than the drive locked up. If they bent in the opposing direction then you hit something.

cloudmaster_321 08-01-2020 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster (Post 4750957)
I don’t have any legitimate experience, but a common consensus is that Bravos are cheap enough to just keep a spare one in the truck. XRs hold up a smidge better but the straight cut gears wear out much quicker. The XZ gears seem to be a popular choice.

I agree that you probably hit something. What direction are the splines bent? If they bent in the direction of the prop rotation than the drive locked up. If they bent in the opposing direction then you hit something.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...7fcad01fe.jpeg

Right hand rotation 1.5 bravo 1

outonsafari 08-02-2020 05:42 AM

What brand and size of boat ?
what engine ?
what is your propshaft height ?

if it's not a smartcraft engine i wonder if the resovoir with the float and wires could be used for a light or a kill switch if the fluid level drops again.

Baja Rooster 08-02-2020 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321 (Post 4750995)

I’m no brain surgeon, but that looks like the drive seized while the prop tried to continue spinning and wrapping that shaft into a knot.

PA.WOODCHUCK 08-02-2020 08:00 AM

looks more like prop was counter-clockwise rotation??

1MOSES1 08-02-2020 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster (Post 4751004)
I’m no brain surgeon, but that looks like the drive seized while the prop tried to continue spinning and wrapping that shaft into a knot.

agreed unless there is visible damage to the prop indicating something was hit...

cloudmaster_321 08-03-2020 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4751030)
agreed unless there is visible damage to the prop indicating something was hit...

prop is perfect.