Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   How long will these xr drives last??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/368777-how-long-will-these-xr-drives-last.html)

Fresh 10-03-2020 11:05 AM

How long will these xr drives last???

In a v hull 10 k pound boat with 850 hp motors boat 37 ft long
i will be easy on hole shots and boat will not be catching air
I would like to mash the throttles in the midrange and wot top end
What's your opinion on how long the xr s will last??

Fresh 10-03-2020 02:06 PM

How long will these xr drives last???

In a v hull 10 k pound boat with 850 hp motors boat 37 ft long
i will be easy on hole shots and boat will not be catching air
I would like to mash the throttles in the midrange and wot top end
What's your opinion on how long the xr s will last??

F-2 Speedy 10-03-2020 02:44 PM

To the end of the no wake zone............:poopoo:............seriously no one noes for sure, I had one let go just cruising along around 4k, my boats lighter than yours about the same power and ITS / XR's

Fresh 10-03-2020 02:59 PM

What a bummer riding at 4k and it went out geez

AllDodge 10-03-2020 05:08 PM

I have a single motor 10K cruiser with B3XR, 530HP and on my 3rd yr and no issues. I'm running Merc Racing Syn gear lube. You have 1100 more HP total and 2 drives so your not going to load the drives the way I do getting up. I don't think you will have an issue for some time being easy up as I do

Fresh 10-03-2020 05:33 PM

Thank you

Unlimited jd 10-03-2020 06:01 PM

There are a lot more variables to it. But that kind of power will be a crap shoot every time you throttle up

Apexwarrior 10-04-2020 04:52 AM

That's a hard question to answer. My boat is 9k lbs and the motors make 750ish hp. One set lasted 6 seasons, the next lasted two. I will tell you that I think rolling on the power is a better bet than slamming the throttles, whether a hole shot or in mid range. Probably a bigger issue is launching the boat. Even if you plan not to catch air, it still happens. Miss time it once while on the sticks and you could lose a drive.

If you want to be safe, you're better off with Imco's, but you're looking at $35k or so to put them on vs. a $12-16k rebuild. I went cheap and just keep on rebuliding them, although I'm getting close the point where it would have been better to just go Imcos to begin with.

Apexwarrior 10-04-2020 04:55 AM

Also, I run 5 blade props which have less slip than 4 blades, but put more stress on the drives, but I like the mid range efficiency they give me for Poker Runs vs. four blades. If your primary concern is the drives, go with 4 blade props.

IGetWet 10-04-2020 05:38 AM

Do you like to gamble? Mashing the throttles at midrange when the motors are making a lot of torque sounds like telling the black jack dealer you’ll stay with 6 and a 7... to answer your last question I’d say 5-10 hours.