Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo XR for Gas vs. Bravo XR for Diesel- Is there a difference? >

Bravo XR for Gas vs. Bravo XR for Diesel- Is there a difference?

Notices

Bravo XR for Gas vs. Bravo XR for Diesel- Is there a difference?

Old 07-12-2021, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR for Gas vs. Bravo XR for Diesel- Is there a difference?

Looking for some information about the differences between the Bravo XR for gas and Bravo XR for Diesel.(beyond the obvious labeling) Is it possible to mount the Bravo XR for Diesel's to a standard Bravo transom assembly paired to a 502? Same question if the Bravo XR for diesels is from the SeaCore line?
Old 07-12-2021, 10:31 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Yes and no diff between gas and diesel that I know of. I believe you just need to change to a different gimbal bearing.

Why do you want an XR?? How much HP do you have?? XR gears are stronger, but only last and average of about 200-250hrs.
The following users liked this post:
JaayTeee (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

If you look up parts for these, there isn’t anything different listed between gas or diesel on the weak link items

Last edited by JaayTeee; 07-12-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said, it's the same drive. If you are over 550 hp, skip the XR and buy an IMCO SCX.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I blew up my stock bravo 1 and was looking for something better without breaking the bank. It is difficult to find parts right now so I was looking to replace the drive entirely, and it needs to be replaced based on the fact it broke the case. I am only running HP500's so nothing crazy in a 38 Lightning. I found a deal new set of Bravo XR's for diesels so I needed to see if that would work. Do you know if Cummins is making the bravo for Merc?
Old 07-14-2021, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by shack
Thanks guys, I blew up my stock bravo 1 and was looking for something better without breaking the bank. It is difficult to find parts right now so I was looking to replace the drive entirely, and it needs to be replaced based on the fact it broke the case. I am only running HP500's so nothing crazy in a 38 Lightning. I found a deal new set of Bravo XR's for diesels so I needed to see if that would work. Do you know if Cummins is making the bravo for Merc?

What all do you need? I have some random bravo parts including a standard upper case. I switched to SCX so I will not be using them.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I thought the diesel drives were different gearing, or maybe those were Konrads
Old 07-14-2021, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

to answer your question, merc makes the outdrives.

we had the same dilemma a few years ago…

it’s a tough choice given the horsepower is fairly low but weight and legth of the boat is somewhat high.

we opted for xr’s in our old heavy top gun. we are running 500efi’s.

Old 07-14-2021, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 795 Likes on 444 Posts

Looking for some information about the differences between the Bravo XR for gas and Bravo XR for Diesel.(beyond the obvious labeling) Is it possible to mount the Bravo XR for Diesel's to a standard Bravo transom assembly paired to a 502? Same question if the Bravo XR for diesels is from the SeaCore line?
Shack,

Call George at All American Drive Service, in Michigan. It might take him a bit, but he can build you a custom XR-XZ hybrid that will likely endure your HP longer than you'll own the boat, and it won't cost you as much as a new B1.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991