Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Bravo 1 Gear Oil (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/373999-bravo-1-gear-oil.html)

26 Outlaw Bad Influence 11-17-2021 08:27 AM

Bravo 1 Gear Oil

Looking for recommendations for gear oil in Bravo 1 operating at its HP limits.

87MirageIntruder 11-17-2021 11:00 AM

There's a few well known Bravo rebuilders that recommend running a couple quarts of Amsoil (or similar) with a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm sure others can chime in on the exact details of this concoction.

snapmorgan 11-17-2021 11:45 AM

Amsoil does a good job, but it won't keep gears, shafts and bearings alive when you are pushing them to the limits. Nothing will

26 Outlaw Bad Influence 11-17-2021 12:31 PM

I’m not looking for a guarantee against failure, but simply the best oil for operation in these circumstances. Nothing will guarantee no failures in performance boating, but I’ll do what I can to tip the scale in my favor.

im running a DriveGuardian coupler, drive shower, and 1 1/4 prop shaft.

AllDodge 11-17-2021 01:07 PM

From what I've read here its either Amsoil, Mobile1 or Merc Racing Gear lube

speicher lane 11-17-2021 03:17 PM

Amsoil will create shifting issues in a b-drive.

If the op is serious about keeping a bravo Alive at the top of the advertised hp range, he's kidding himself that oil will save the Drive (as they are a grenade by design)..the only way to own a bravo boat and keep the drive intact under high hp use is to not use it, have more drives on hand or replace the b-drive with an Imco. I whole heartedly understand his Intention but, the reality of the limitations is hard fact.

OSO Search function has lots of threads on hp/bravo failure.

26 Outlaw Bad Influence 11-17-2021 04:04 PM

Perhaps I should have simply said, what do people believe is the best outdrive lubricant. I’ve read many of the posts on what steering, engines, outdrives, boats, are inferior, time bombs, waste of money, etc, so those opinions were not the objective of my question.

speicher lane 11-17-2021 05:39 PM

AADS NEO oil has a good following as well for considération

AllDodge 11-17-2021 05:51 PM

I use Merc racing in my cruiser (530hp B 3 XR) and only down side I found was its thinner. Being thinner the lube bottle valve cannot keep it in the lube bottle after the drive has been removed. Reg Merc HP stays in without issue

Diamond Dave 11-17-2021 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4812657)
Amsoil will create shifting issues in a b-drive.

For what it's worth I ran the Amsoil Marine gear lube in my old boats Bravo 1's with zero issues. Switched from the Merc blue garbage that would always come out very dark and "shimmery" with very fine metal on my magnets not to mention coagulate in the bottoms of the reservoirs. Switched oil and it came out clean and clear every time. I have no other experience with any of the other Amsoil gear oils so maybe they have issues with the Bravos I'm not sure but this is what I used.

AMSOIL Synthetic Marine Gear Lube 75W-90 AGMPK-EA - AMSOIL