Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Drive shower for high x dimension (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/374609-drive-shower-high-x-dimension.html)

dru 01-25-2022 07:38 AM

Drive shower for high x dimension

Hey guys just considering a drive shower for my Bravo XR. Most seem to get the water from above the prop. Mine run as almost surface drives so I would assume I would be getting no water when it is most needed. Has anyone ran the pickup off the transom or have any other ideas? Just seems like a waste on a lot of these newer boats with high x dimensions.

JaayTeee 01-25-2022 12:14 PM

I’ve seen folks put pickups
In K planes and plumb as needed

snapmorgan 01-25-2022 12:43 PM

Does the engine get its cooling water through the drive? I have drilled and tapped the side of the drive through the water passage and plumbed it to a drive shower top cap on boats that have a thru hull pickup for the engines

dru 01-25-2022 06:41 PM

Thanks guys I have my intake in the drive which is a little sketchy. My x is extremely high. I was thinking if I did one to put it on the transom but I would hate to drill holes

F-2 Speedy 01-25-2022 06:47 PM

where is the prop shaft in reference to the bottom of the hull

Unlimited jd 01-25-2022 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dru (Post 4819397)
Thanks guys I have my intake in the drive which is a little sketchy. My x is extremely high. I was thinking if I did one to put it on the transom but I would hate to drill holes

my drives are really high, I have relief valves on my strainers that one of these days I will plumb to through hull fittings to dump on the drives. I took the drive showers off because someone running behind me said they could see the cav plates way out of the water at cruise
my propshaft is 1” above the bottom.

IGetWet 01-26-2022 05:25 AM

Don’t most drive showers rely on the rotation to the prop to push water up the shower tube? The drive shower pickup is not like a thru hull pickup relying on the water itself to force it in while moving.

dru 01-27-2022 10:49 AM

Just got down to measure. It’s about 2” below in a staggered installation. I know they had to raise the hatch to get them to fit. It is a 36 Pantera. Only one with a staggered set up

F-2 Speedy 01-27-2022 11:08 AM

notched at the transom or no, let me know when it for sale ......:drink:...Im running 2.5 inch below with no issues

abones 01-27-2022 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by IGetWet (Post 4819416)
Don’t most drive showers rely on the rotation to the prop to push water up the shower tube? The drive shower pickup is not like a thru hull pickup relying on the water itself to force it in while moving.

Yes, That is the working theory. FYI I have a high X on my cat and ran the Halo style Simrek drive showers with extended dual pick ups and they preformed great! The Prop forced water into both pick ups on each shower.