Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   Volvo Penta DPX lower end gear (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/377810-volvo-penta-dpx-lower-end-gear.html)

TorB 11-30-2022 05:25 AM

Volvo Penta DPX lower end gear

Hey,

I have an Volvo Penta DPX600 with DPX-A drive unit, with defect hub in both E2 props.
E series props and HUB's are not available anymore in Europe.
Based on that I have been thinking about if there is any change for the possibility to change / merge the DPX-A drive with a complete lower end gear unit from fx an other drive like fx DPH, DPR or DPS.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Or is there any other solutions.
I still want to run Volvo Penta drive if possible, an prefer if possible to keep the upper part of the drive.

//TorB

scarabman 11-30-2022 06:12 AM

Gear sets will be tough. Some parts were interchangeable with DPS drives, but to my best recollection, inner shafts, and gear sets (which include the outer shaft) were DPX specific. The DPR drives were beefed up from DPX components.

The inner hub/splines are damaged, or hub is just slipping? I had the vulcanized rubber in the hub of one of my forward E-4 props go bad, but had the rubber redone by a prop shop.

I have (1) rear E-4 for sale if you get your gear ration changed:drink:

TorB 11-30-2022 06:44 AM

Thanks for the quick answer, scarabman.

About what I was thinking about, was to change/merge the complete lover end including housing with different drive if possible.
Some people in Norway are talking about it should be possible to use fx lover end of DPX, with some modification/adjustment, but I am not shure.

DiamondPerformance 11-30-2022 01:19 PM

If your looking for E3 props, i have a couple sets.:drink:

TorB 12-01-2022 01:03 AM

Thanks for reply.
I do only need HUB's and or E2 props. Or even a lower gear end 1,78:1.

badluck 12-01-2022 11:06 PM

For sale in Sweden.
https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockh...ller/102714464
No affiliation with the seller.

scarabman 12-02-2022 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TorB (Post 4852486)
Thanks for the quick answer, scarabman.

About what I was thinking about, was to change/merge the complete lover end including housing with different drive if possible.
Some people in Norway are talking about it should be possible to use fx lover end of DPX, with some modification/adjustment, but I am not shure.

Okay, I get what you are looking to do now. My guess, is that yes it can be done. The shaft coupler between upper and lower housings should make part of the job easy. The real question is the mating surfaces and mounting hole alignment between DPX upper and whatever new lower you are trying to mate. Shouldnt be too hard to figure out if you can get your hands on a lower and take some measurements from one to another

Warlock27WC 09-21-2023 10:45 AM

Hi Scarabman
Is it possible to get the name of the prop service that modified your E-4 hub. I had a hub slip on my E-3.
Also, If you had a tear in the bellow on a DPX500 and the u-joints look brand new, would you be inclined to pull the motor to replace the bearings at the bell housing? Or, is the seal at the intermediate shaft good at keeping water out?
Thank you!

Warlock27WC 09-23-2023 08:23 PM

Hi Scarabman
I have the DPX 500 with a front prop that slipped due to a ski line. Slipped about an eighth of an inch which allowed the prop to move forward. Was it a success having the rubber redone? If so, is it possible to provide the name of the prop shop who did the work?

Not having luck finding new hubs for tthe E2 props. Let alone new props.

scarabman 09-24-2023 07:38 AM

I had mine done by a local prop shop here in NJ, Ocean Propeller. They actually sent it out to someone else, dont know who, who pulled the old hub and re-set in new vulcanized rubber.

I am not understanding the question regarding the bellows. Are you asking if you should replace the gimbal bearing, or if water may have gotten past the shaft seal into the drive? Salt water or fresh? If salt, and the u joints show no rust, than it is probably unlikely you got water in the drives.

You have DPX R's, or A's?