Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
converter box for nmea 2000 >

converter box for nmea 2000

Notices

converter box for nmea 2000

Old 01-22-2015, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

An update on this----I have spoken to 3 different Holley Tech guys ---not one even remotely helpful. The last one actually said that I picked the wrong EFI system. I was resigned to the fact of running a mini marine PC and a monitor which should be fairly easy---not cheap mind you, but I believe would be a pretty powerful system. From engine monitoring to chart plotter to music and video capabilities...
I asked Holley if I would be able to run both engines on one screen and one computer --- the answer was a rude No --- when I asked to talk or have them email a software tech to see if it was possible or had been done before their answer was " We don't have time for that and we are not interested in the marine market"

The only other company that they will work with is Racepack, and they were not helpful either. At this point I'd like to rip the Holley Ecu's off my engines....lol
I either have to use the new Holley dash (7.5" display), or the Racepack display according to them.

Last edited by delsol; 01-22-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Take a step back and work through the previous options posted.

So long as those ECU's speak "CAN", they can be linked up to provide data on one screen. That could be 1PC running two CAN/USB converters. Or a chart plotter running 2 x J1939 to N2k converters. First you need to determine what the PIDs or PGN data looks like on that CANbus connection.

There is what's called SAE Pids, typically RPM, Temp, Oil pressure, TPS, MAP and such that are common to 99% of all ECU's. Or it could be all manufacture specific PIDs, which are not same hex decimal code and won't translate to NMEA 2000 near as easy. Only way to tell for certain is jack into the diagnostic plug and run some free OBDII PC software that listens to the data stream. Will tell ya pretty quickly what ya have to work with.

Too bad I didn't know you were still working on this. I was in your area just 48 hours ago, and have the tools on my laptop to sort that out quickly.

-K
Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the words -- I wasn't too thrilled with Holley yesterday... and it was getting on my nerves.
Yes it is really too bad if you were that close -- I'd pay you to mess with it and try to figure it out as it is not in my normal arena. I'm going to place each motor side by side on the floor and power them up on the laptop to see what happens.

Dave
Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next batch of the new waterproof dashes are supposed to be available on March 17th. They're really nice, and feature enough programmable virtual switches to do almost everything on the boat. When communicating with the ecu via laptop, the software has to confirm that you are using the same Global folder/file as what is being used on the ecu, because you can make real time changes. In order to view two engines on one laptop, the laptop would have to be able to do a split screen,and run the Holley software on both screens independently, as well as communicate with the correct USB port for that side of the screen and engine. If someone could pay a code writer to figure out what the deal is with Holley's CAN language (it's not J1939), then a simple converter could be made to NMEA, and I bet you'd be able to sell enough of them to offset the cost. In reality though, two of the digital dashes don't take up a ton of space, and they look really nice, with lots of different configurable layouts. Another option might be to contact FJO, who make the Holley ecu, and see if they have any insight.They're in Winnipeg.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Registered

That's helpful info right there... I'll try to reach out to FJO and see what I can find. Building a N2k gateway is something I can probably help with, if we can figure out Holley's language choice. Good to know it's "not" SAE J1939, saves delsol time. But I'd still swing by and jack into one if it's able to run on the engine stand. So shoot me a message if you get one wired up.

Haven't we had this conversation once before Haxby
Old 01-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested in doing this, I can send you an ecu, harness, a few sensors so it's got something to read, and a little handheld tuner/display that plugs into the CAN line.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Registered

Thanks for the offer. Soon as I get this bluetooth adapter project finished I'd be happy to take on this one. Would prefer to get with delsol or someone running that system so I can capture some LIVE data going across the bus.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Registered

alex is that the new ones that they unveiled at SEMA or new ones again since SEMA?

Kid -- just let me know when it works for you, and what you need me to do....
Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Registered

Ok guys, the Winnipeg contact panned out. Found one of the orgional developers who tossed me a bone...

Yes it's CAN, but proprietary data packets. So nothing out there on the market is going to "Read" it by default that isn't built for it. However, I scored a definition file which defines the sensor data sets in Hex, we can convert that to match N2k sets same as other gateways do. Waiting for a reply about twin ECU's on same bus, but at worse would take twin gateways.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:44 PM
Registered

kid. awesome news

let me know if i can do anything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.