Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
converter box for nmea 2000 >

converter box for nmea 2000

Notices

converter box for nmea 2000

Old 06-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Dirty money-- the noland units I'm sure work very well for converting analog senders over to NMEA 2000, I am utilizing the Holley ECU that is already monitoring all of the critical engine functions and trying to get it to communicate with a chartplotter...

Kid Turbo -- Ken -- has spearheaded this project and come up with a fantastic gateway to make this all possible. He knows his stuff! We will be doing final testing on the system next week...can't say thanks enough.

Anyone running a Holley EFI system should look into this
Old 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Noland units work great and have awesome customer support.
Yes I've also heard nothing but good things about both Noland and Actisense units. No matter what engine setup you have, those will get the critical engine data into a digital display. But for guys like Delsol with custom high HP EFI builds, that would require double sensors and wiring on each engine.

Since about every OEM and aftermarket ECU on the market today offers "CAN" options, this gateway only requires two wires per engine. The problem has been the multitude of languages these ECU's speak. No one wants to develop a gateway that only work for a single model ECU, ain't worth the time. Industrial engines and Gensets all share a common SAE protocol / language, J1939. The whole NMEA2k standard was actually built around that protocol. Then you have Merc, who felt it was best to go it alone. Opening up a market to convert their stuff also.

So who's left out of the party? Aftermarket systems like Holley, FAST, MSD, and all the automotive OBD-II compliant units. Everything popular with the hobbyist or professional engine builders like Haxby, Chief, Sterling and others. I ran into similar issues with my Duramax conversions, as have guys dropping the new GM LS versions or V10 Viper engines into a boat. All great engine platforms, never specifically intended to be marinised.

Our little gateway project was designed to make such communication road blocks a plug-N-play install to modern plotters and marine gauges. It's no cheap knock off project box. Custom PCB with top shelf electronics and network isolation features as called for in N2k standards. Just easily firmware flashable, bringing plenty of other interesting uses to mind. First we'll see how these Holley prototypes work out. Thanks to guys like Delsol and Haxby for backing the development.

-K
Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Prototype PCB's are done and ready to start software testing.
Some notable board components:
  • Power input range DC: approx. 8-28v
  • 2 galvanic isolated CAN bus transceivers - As per NMEA hardware standards
  • Bluetooth LE modem (switchable) - IOS and Android compatible for soft gauges or diagnostics
  • User flash-able USB port - firmware updates
  • Switchable network termination resistors
  • Switchable Port/Starboard engine outputs (DIP switch)

The PCB case is IP67 waterproof rated, contains standard N2k network drop cable on one side, HEFI CAN plug and extra power leads on the other. This unit can be powered off the network or directly wired into the engine harness.

Hope to complete testing with Delsol within the next two weeks. Once operation is confirmed, we'll take orders for the production run. Nice thing about this design is the firmware can be updated to work with other CANbus ECU's like MEFI units or standard automotive ECU's. The output format can also be setup to do J1939 or other protocols. On the Bluetooth side, we plan to go with Torque for the soft gauges since it works well with IOS and Android devices.

I came across this post while searching on google how to get data out of Holley's CANbus. Never thought it would pop up with a site I am already a member of.

Anyway, are you selling these boards and for how much? What ARM chip are you using? I have a couple ARM platforms here on my desk along with some Arduino AVR's. I'm not exactly needing the nmea output but more so for datalogging.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

We just completed the first HEFI batch and shipped some out last week.

Changed the board slightly, making the BLE modem optional since most new plotters include BT capabilities. I do have one of those prototype boards pictured above with the BT available if you just need wireless data logging off the Holley side.

Processor is the M4 series, and the board can be powered from either network cable. Now that HEFI is done, I've started working on a MegaSquirt and custom GMLAN version to cover stuff like the new LS and Duramax. PM me your contact details and I'll see what we can come up with.

-K
The following users liked this post:
DieselGuy (04-16-2023)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Kidturbo
Very interested in your product, working on a Holley EFI, Whipple 4.5L set up for my 43 Nortech and I'm in OH.
Wish I would have known about your project sooner, I would have offered up my boat for testing.
Contact me when you get a chance
Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Just sent ya an email with my contact #.

That would have definitely saved some mileage. Delsol has a sweet build underway and was great to work with. However he lives on the far side of the lake..

I also spoke with Haxby last week. He's logged some real world hours on a couple different boats now. Reports everything on the Holley setup seems to work as we designed it. So I've moved fwd this month with a high speed GMLAN version to support GM Duramax and the LS E67 ECM. Those E67 units could offer up some interesting tuning options over the current MEFI version, Soon as that's done, onto the Megaquirt version.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

So my new boat has some custom Eddie Young motors that have a standard MEFI 4 computer. Could I utilized these on mine? I really want to go to a glass dash and have been searching for something like this. Thank you guys in advance.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Registered

Default New CANbus Gateway

After selling the last of our original CAN-2-CAN gateways last summer, I had to decide if it was worth while to build more. Small niche market with a very low profit margin for time to develop. The majority of that first run went to Holley EFI users on here. As time permitted I worked towards adding new ECM communication protocols like J1939, AEM, GMLAN and MEFI 5 along with some others. Seems like what ever new protocol I was working on at the moment, someone called looking for something different. Then next thing I know, all the gateways were gone. Thanks everyone..

After some pondering and prodding by a couple members who were late to the party, I broke down and ordered another run of boards. We modified this new design a bit, ditched the drop cables, and mounted the M12-5 connectors directly to the PCB and case. Should makes them a bit easier to mount, and offers new ability to unplug the board and take it to a desk for easy programing with PC. Which is the second major upgrade, ability to add, change, or program your own custom CANbus protocols or ARBID sets.

My embedded electronics guru buddy is still working on the PC configuration software, but 50 new units are on their way to me today. The preconfigured HEFI and other existing protocols I've re-engineered will be ready to ship next week. Soon as he finishes the software, they should be capable of translating between ANY modern CANbus protocols that exist today. GM, Ford, Chrysler, MB, ect, or any aftermarket ECM setup. So help a brother out and pass the word before my wife discovers the missing $$$$ I dropped on this endeavor, again...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564714[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails converter box for nmea 2000-img_20170210_144612.jpg  
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Registered

Looking good Ken!

I'm going to be doing some testing with the new ES raymarine MFD this week. I'll give you as shout later in the week.

Dave
Old 02-13-2017, 07:24 AM
Registered

BTW-- you mentioned earlier about the ability to datalog from the holley through these units, how does that work? is there a way to store/download on the converters?

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.