NMEA 2000 / 2004 Fountain Lightening Upgrade for Garmin 741xi GPS >

NMEA 2000 / 2004 Fountain Lightening Upgrade for Garmin 741xi GPS

Notices

NMEA 2000 / 2004 Fountain Lightening Upgrade for Garmin 741xi GPS

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NMEA 2000 / 2004 Fountain Lightening Upgrade for Garmin 741xi GPS

Hi, today I purchased the new Garmin 741xi that has the ability to hook up to an NMEA 2000 network. Im told that I can buy a box from Merc that will allow me to take advantage of the features available with the 741xi.

Has anybody actually managed to successfully do this with a boat that does not currently have the NMEA 200- network already available from the manufacture, bought this "conversion box or network box?

I own a 2004 Fountain Lightening and I would love nothing more than to have all the information my engines have to offer, displayed on my 741x1 screen.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance
Barry
Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to buy the Mercury Gateway in order to connect your merc motors to the GPS

84-8M0065208 MODULE-GATWY MULT - this is the description and the part number from mercury that you will need. I picked up mine for 325 from www.cheapmercuryparts.com and it came straight from the merc warehouse in Ga. you will also need to buy a NMEA2000 starter kit that goes for about 70 dollars.

hope this helps
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Hi, my research revealed the same. Although I'd love to hook this up, everybody is steering me away from spending money on what they claim is really a waste. It's a nice to have but as mentioned, I have all the gages I need to display the necessary date therefore installing the gateway to display data on my unit is not as useful and I thought it would be. After all, you would have to change screens to view the data and if I'm on a course, the plotted course is what I'd have it set to display and would use my gages at a glance to make sure all is well. I'm still on the fence however not as excited as I was when I came home with my 741 lol we shall see... Have a super day!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Barry, is it a 741xi or 741 xs? I can only seem to locate the xs. Where did you purchase it from?
Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

LOL Sorry about that.....it is the XS....my Bad!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

OK great, I was driving myself crazy looking for it. I was thinking the Garmin 741xs and the new Fusion head unit combo. Did you buy a depth sounder / transducer with your?

Did you ever look at a comparable model, Raymarine or similar?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Registered

Hi, sorry for the delay getting back to you. No, I didn't buy those add-ons only because I have no use for them right now. As for comparing models, yes I did quickly but admittedly the Garmin had me on the look, feel, over all simplicity of navigation and use of features therefore focused more on that unit. I have the 3205 on my boat now and have been pleased with it but when I saw the 741, I had to have it because it turned all the inconveniences of a that unit into a simple touch screen wonderland lol

I played with it at home to really get familiar with it and have to say, this unit can do anything but sadly, this is going to be like the guy who buys the washer and dryer that has 30 different option when really 2 are all that will be used on a my boat. Beautiful options but just not necessary. The options I thought would be useful were the gateway for to display engine data and fuel flow but then found out that it really is just a "nice to have" since I have all the gages I need at a glance and fuel flow doesn't do much for me accept creat panic when having fun! LOL Additionally, I was going to hook up another from Merc to give me accurate fuel levels but my mechanic said it was a waste since nothing seems to accurately display fuel levels in these boats unless their sitting on a trailer. Also Garmin has a great name and with quality behind their product. I only wish I had the space on my panel to flush mount this unit for full effect but that would mean redesigning my gage cluster and having a new panel made......too much $$$ just to accommodate a GPS.

Hope this helps a little but at the end of the day, it really depends on your boat, your taste in unit styles and your comfort zone with navigation and price. Have a super day!
Barry