Soggy MB Quart Amp

Notices

Soggy MB Quart Amp

Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soggy MB Quart Amp

My center console cockpit filled up with rain water because the new Attwood S3 P!O!S! switch failed. My nearly new MB Quart NA3604 amp sat for a couple days 2/3 rds submerged in water. Much to my surprise, it seems to function perfectly. So my dilemma is do I keep using it or pitch it and get another one? I am not worried about it failing 30 miles from home leaving me without tunes for an hour, but more interested in preventing the embarrassing fire or nuclear meld down. I know it has that mega fuse and is thermally protected but if there is a significant chance of catastrophe, I'll replace it.

Thanks,

F
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

More that likely after it dried it worked.. But it will probably rust the metal on the inside and fail fairly soon.. You may be able to save it by opening it up and spraying it with some rust inhibitor for electrical components.

Last edited by nailit; 02-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont know much about mb , but i had a amp . that got wet . worked fine . than it went shorley afterwords . i was linking one amp to the other through the pre outs . took out the other amp when it failed n .. lost two amps that day .. food for thought .
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need to mount your amps higher
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could take it apart and rinse it out with Distilled water, then dry it again real good. However, depending on the water that it sat in the damage may already have been done. The corrosion process will most likely have already begun. If salt water, then it is just a matter of time.....