Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy! >

JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy!

Notices

JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

FWIW I send one of my JL amps in every other year for repair because one of them has quit. So I get 4 years out of each of them. Don't know if I can fault the amps so much, I have been known to get the boat more then 10' off the water.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been JL fan for years, great product. I have also been around a lot of wet sounds stuff in Rzr s. I have yet to hear some in boats. I have had a JL amp go bad in last 8 yrs of use, not so bad. Back to the JL website as I also use. If u have local or semi local dealers that watch they can pick that order and ship it out. Nice both ways, u don't drive and local dealers still get some kick. By the way all the wet sounds I have heard all sound great.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

My new boat will have a mixture of JL, Fusion, and Wetsounds, as the boat came with Wetsounds Sinster 4Ch.amp and (4) XS-808 speakers, and the WW-BT-VC Blue tooth controller. I'll be adding a JL 10" sub, MX10IB3-CG-WH, and a Fusion Head MS-AV-700I. Should rock when I'm done....
Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

For anyone who has installed the JL MX650 .. is it possible to remove the sport speaker grill completely? What I am trying to do is use the existing maroon metal speaker grilles/ covers (see picture) with a pair of MX650 speakers I already own. I dont want to use the grey sport grilles that are on the MX650

Currently there are Alpine SPS-M600's in there that I want to replace

Last edited by MJBoater; 10-17-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to remove the grills. The screws that hold them on come from the back, this is the way my MX770's are.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Registered

A dealer told me the following but Im not sure this is right (not sure if he was trying to sell me new speakers or not):

You cannot remove the grilles from the JL Audio MX650 (or any other true marine coaxial speaker) because the tweeter is mounted in the grill. On a car audio coax the tweeter is mounted to the center of the speaker, but in a TRUE marine coax the tweeter will be mounted to the grill so that the center of the cone can be sealed around the pole piece to protect it from moisture.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Registered

Does anyone know for sure on this? The speaker is an JL MX650.. I dont have it front of me..Its at another location
Old 10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Registered

I got the answer from JL..the MX650, you cannot because the tweeter is part of the grille. On the 770 and the 10" sub, you can change grilles.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Registered

I'd put DC Gold up against either JL Audio or Wet Sounds. They have a bit brighter sound. Very loud and I like them for their durability. They are waterproof.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBoater
Yes, I know..probably string the pot a little bit here

So my question is this.. I have a 38' Fountain with full staggers which leaves a smaller cockpit. So what I am looking for are speakers that sound really good in a smaller cockpit area.
Would mount these in front sides for pair #1 and probably behind front row on sides for pair #2... all around waist high. 2 subs under back bench.

My suggested configuration is:
4 JL M770's (would need to buy these)
2 10" JL subs (already have these on my other boat and would bring these over)
JL M1000/5v2 amp (already have this on my other boat and would bring this over to power the 4 JL 770's and 2 JL 10" subs)

I listened to the Wetsounds... not sure which models but it was Wetsounds speakers and amps. My initial thought was these are really good at projecting a long distance... towers light up a cove better than the JL's.
But I think the JL's sound better near field... in a smaller cockpit area. Better mid range and the tweeters did not sound as bright. Almost a warmer sound I think.

Thoughts here ?
I think you are on the right path, unless you are doing tower speakers (which you have no place to mount) the JL has a great sound. Since you already have the amp and subs might as well use them. For the cockpit speakers you are limited since you only have 60w per channel to deliver to them. So your choices are JL m770's or Wetsounds XS-650's and either of those can easily handle 100w. Not the system I would do from scratch but it will sound great. I think you will be light on speakers and power if you like to play it loud or while running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.