Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/electronics-291/)
-   -   Garmin 7608 to control stereo (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/electronics/348206-garmin-7608-control-stereo.html)

Maritime_Eng 07-06-2017 08:05 PM

Garmin 7608 to control stereo

Hello-

I just purchased a boat with a 7608 Garmin and would like to control my stereo with this unit. What do I need purchase to make this happen?

Thanks
Don

adamseraphine 07-07-2017 12:03 AM

All you need is a Fusion head unit that is NMEA-2000 compatible. A lot of us use the Fusion MS-UD750. You then run a NMEA-2000 cable from the 7608 to the Fusion head unit and when you turn the 7608 on, it will find the head unit. Pretty simple.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that there are any other brands of head units that are compatible, nor are there any adapters that would make another brand compatible.

ALL_IN! 07-07-2017 07:34 AM

I installed Garmin 7607 and Fusion RA70N with the NRX200 remote You'll need a powered backbone and related NMEA2000 cables and T's. I didn't fully understand the backbone necessity, so had to order after I discovered that there was no connectivity.

I also would probably not buy the NMEA backbone and cables from Garmin (if I had to do it all over again). They are high compared to Amazon, etc. But at the time, I knew nothing about NMEA 2000.

Works good - but we actually don't use the onscreen controls very often. But it is a "cool" factor. I'm trying to figure out the best way to play video to the 7607 (it won't from SD card, only images/jpegs) - probably should have gotten a Fusion with more features, but again, didn't realize it until I had the equipment.

Unlimited jd 07-07-2017 01:53 PM

Rockford sells an adapater they developed with raymarine. Problem is the adapter is another $200 on top of the stereo where you just buy a fusion ready to go.

VoodooRob 07-07-2017 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ALL_IN! (Post 4567133)
I installed Garmin 7607 and Fusion RA70N with the NRX200 remote You'll need a powered backbone and related NMEA2000 cables and T's. I didn't fully understand the backbone necessity, so had to order after I discovered that there was no connectivity.

I also would probably not buy the NMEA backbone and cables from Garmin (if I had to do it all over again). They are high compared to Amazon, etc. But at the time, I knew nothing about NMEA 2000.

Works good - but we actually don't use the onscreen controls very often. But it is a "cool" factor. I'm trying to figure out the best way to play video to the 7607 (it won't from SD card, only images/jpegs) - probably should have gotten a Fusion with more features, but again, didn't realize it until I had the equipment.

Your going to have to get me up to speed on all this NMEA Tractor Talk when we see you at Cumberland. I want to replace the factory Smartcraft with a unit that I can see/toggle engine functions and also use it as a GPS.

Maritime_Eng 07-07-2017 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info!

ALL_IN! 07-07-2017 03:06 PM

I haven't gotten into Smartcraft yet. I looked up underneath my dash when I was doing all this work and couldn't see the J-Boxes - so I $hitcanned the idea of displaying Smartcraft on the Garmin (my Garmin is on passenger side).

[tried to insert a pic here, but it's not working]

However, I was in the head the other day and noticed that there is a fresh air door on the back wall - open that up and there is the backside of the dash / gauge cluster. So I might be able to find the J-Box now. Once I find that, it's just a matter of getting the Gateway and plugging in some cables.

Originally Posted by VoodooRob (Post 4567226)
Your going to have to get me up to speed on all this NMEA Tractor Talk when we see you at Cumberland. I want to replace the factory Smartcraft with a unit that I can see/toggle engine functions and also use it as a GPS.

ALL_IN! 07-07-2017 04:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Figured out my picture problem - obvious user error!

Attachment 568969
Attachment 568970