Good Head Unit

Notices

Good Head Unit

Old 01-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Good Head Unit

Looking for a good head unit with built in amp. Not powering anything crazy, just 4 Wet Sound Revo 6.5 speakers. Was thinking a Fusion 600 series. Suggestions?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I really like the Rockford Fosgate Marine collection. I feel Fusion is a bit overpriced and stripped down. Rockford and Raymarine have also teamed up to integrate with each other if you are thinking of adding a multi function display.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a Good Head Unit once ..... But but i cant remember her name!!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
I had a Good Head Unit once ..... But but i cant remember her name!!!!

Lohan, probably completely worthless for anything else, but probably some damn good head........most likely gulps as opposed to swallowing to....
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's mounted in the cuddy, I'd recommend the Sony MEX-XB100BT. The class d amplifier built into the head unit is far more powerful than most anything around and will give good power to speakers without having to do an external amp. It's also 2 ohm stable if you want to add speakers later on.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

eneavour32 and jstrahn, thanks for the info, I will look into those.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jstrahn
If it's mounted in the cuddy, I'd recommend the Sony MEX-XB100BT. The class d amplifier built into the head unit is far more powerful than most anything around and will give good power to speakers without having to do an external amp. It's also 2 ohm stable if you want to add speakers later on.
I would agree with this. Plus, if you care about the tuner section, Pioneer and Sony are about the only options. Fusion may have some class D stuff integral with the head unit.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Went with the sony as suggested above. Everything came out great and sounds great. Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I too am in the market for a new head unit. I would like to at least have a wired transom remote or RF waterproof handheld remote. Looking for a single-DIN unit as boat already has a hole and not much room to fit the very large newer marine displays at that location. I really want Bluetooth and Pandora capability with Android.

Historically, I have always been very happy and usually exclusively bought Pioneer products......but no longer making a "marine" unit although it is cabin mounted so don't really care about non-marine. No wired remotes produced either.

I have bought several boats/vehicles that contained Sony receivers....I hated every one so I am leery about the Sony unit mentioned above although I do like the features. Unfortunately Sony has also dropped their marine wired remotes.

I am currently leaning Clarion M303 and their RF1 waterproof remote control. Although it looks like the RF1 remote can be used on any brand unit with the 3.5mm steering wheel control remote port. Can get the NMEA2K adapter for this unit in the future although that costs as much as the receiver itself!

I will be adding a 9" multi-function GPS in the future and would like to eventually link that with the stereo. The Rockford units do look nice but for the price, I cant believe the NMEA link isn't built in. From what I can see that is the only advantage to a Fusion unit though for an audio enthusiast, they are very basic in function.

It't interesting how marine audio has gone either very basic and cheap or very expensive and high-end. Nothing in the middle anymore.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I went with the Fusion RA-70N with N2k capability. I have it tied in to a Garmin 7607. Although we rarely use the Garmin to control the audio. I'm happy with the Fusion

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I too am in the market for a new head unit. I would like to at least have a wired transom remote or RF waterproof handheld remote. Looking for a single-DIN unit as boat already has a hole and not much room to fit the very large newer marine displays at that location. I really want Bluetooth and Pandora capability with Android.

Historically, I have always been very happy and usually exclusively bought Pioneer products......but no longer making a "marine" unit although it is cabin mounted so don't really care about non-marine. No wired remotes produced either.

I have bought several boats/vehicles that contained Sony receivers....I hated every one so I am leery about the Sony unit mentioned above although I do like the features. Unfortunately Sony has also dropped their marine wired remotes.

I am currently leaning Clarion M303 and their RF1 waterproof remote control. Although it looks like the RF1 remote can be used on any brand unit with the 3.5mm steering wheel control remote port. Can get the NMEA2K adapter for this unit in the future although that costs as much as the receiver itself!

I will be adding a 9" multi-function GPS in the future and would like to eventually link that with the stereo. The Rockford units do look nice but for the price, I cant believe the NMEA link isn't built in. From what I can see that is the only advantage to a Fusion unit though for an audio enthusiast, they are very basic in function.

It't interesting how marine audio has gone either very basic and cheap or very expensive and high-end. Nothing in the middle anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.