Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/electronics-291/)
-   -   Transducer installation Echomap Plus 73SV (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/electronics/369585-transducer-installation-echomap-plus-73sv.html)

F14A water jet 12-06-2020 08:52 AM

Transducer installation Echomap Plus 73SV

I have a new-to-me Formula 311 with a Garmin Echomap Plus 73SV installed on the dash. However, the transducer is still in the original box (uninstalled). Is the installation/location best left to the pros or is it a DIY?
Any location tips (do's and especially don'ts)?
Thanks,
Tom

ThisIsLivin 12-08-2020 04:27 PM

If you want to do a through hull, you need to find a spot that isn't cored. My Velocity had a transducer glued in that I was able to knock out easily. I used the Airmar P79 transducer directly over the old transducer location after I filled it with solid resin. Works well for me, I have seen depths of over 400' with it and in fish finder mode it has targeted fish as I cruise down the river.

F14A water jet 12-08-2020 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin (Post 4768574)
If you want to do a through hull, you need to find a spot that isn't cored. My Velocity had a transducer glued in that I was able to knock out easily. I used the Airmar P79 transducer directly over the old transducer location after I filled it with solid resin. Works well for me, I have seen depths of over 400' with it and in fish finder mode it has targeted fish as I cruise down the river.

Mine is a hang off the back kind...CV52HW-TM Garmin Transducer.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...36057bf39b.jpg

sonicss42 12-08-2020 08:43 PM

That particular transducer cannot be used to “shoot thru” the hull. Call Garmin tech support for any answers to questions that you have. It’s free and they know their chit. If you want a different style they can give you the model # for what you need.

F14A water jet 12-08-2020 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sonicss42 (Post 4768603)
That particular transducer cannot be used to “shoot thru” the hull. Call Garmin tech support for any answers to questions that you have. It’s free and they know their chit. If you want a different style they can give you the model # for what you need.

Thanks...

F14A water jet 04-02-2021 09:08 PM

Anyone have a first person (good experience) with a thru-hull transducer that provides as much functionality and fidelity as possible with the Garmin Echomap Plus 73sv?
Thanks

Blueabyss 04-05-2021 07:10 AM

Depends what you want to see. If you are just looking for depth and to see bottom contour, I would go with a P79 style that is an In Hull If you want to see structure and better fish spotting ability then you would be best with through hull. I dont care for the ones that hang off the back as they dont hang off for long. They get knocked off.. Just for clarification Through hull means you drilled a hole and put a transducer through the hull. A in hull, like an Airmar P79, is an in hull. It is glued to the hull inside the boat. Any can be a DIY but the in hull p79 is far easier to install. Get your model number and call the GPS STORE and they can give you the number for the exact P79 style you need. There are different models for different brand sounders.

Chris

F14A water jet 04-05-2021 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Blueabyss (Post 4784443)
Just for clarification Through hull means you drilled a hole and put a transducer through the hull. A in hull, like an Airmar P79, is an in hull. It is glued to the hull inside the boat.
Chris

Wow, I am glad I asked! I mistakenly thought the opposite of above. I thought in-hull meant cut into and sunk or countersunk INTO the exterior of the hull and thru-hull meant stuck to the bilge and shooting/sounding THROUGH the hull.

Blueabyss 04-05-2021 04:01 PM

It's very confusing the way the wording sounds but thats the way it is.. And unless your really into Fishing , the in hull is the way to go. And you can see fish with an in hull transducer but its harder to differentiate a cluster of small fish vs a big fish. I kept seeing something big on mine and thought it was a cluster of small fish at the marina. Few days later I had my head leaning off the dock to try and see my trim tabs. 1 second later a manatee popped its snout out about a foot from me. I about popped something out the back of my shorts... Guess I figured out what I was seeing on the Garmin.

Chris

F14A water jet 04-08-2021 09:15 AM

Okay, so now I am looking for a recommendation of an "in-hull" transducer (mounts in bilge and shoots through the hull)...to work with my Garmin.
Also, my factory through hull is still in place...will its sound (output) interfere with a new transducer (echos, etc...)?