Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Eliminator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/eliminator-35/)
-   -   26 daytona owners (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/eliminator/18902-26-daytona-owners.html)

meyer 02-26-2002 12:57 AM

26 daytona owners

The 26 has been out for one year. Who has them? How are they running. What power in them? What kind of drive? A lot of 25 talk going on. But know 26. Hey uncle, how have you been.

Turbojack 02-26-2002 08:58 AM

Have 2001 26' open wall-thru bowrider. GPS digital speedo, Standoff box & full hyd. stearing, bravo ZX, low & mid water pickup with 1.36 gears. Bought with stock 330hp 454. Best speed with wrong prop, stock motor 57 gps mph @ 4200 rpms.

Installed 540 twin turbo (old gale banks setup) never dinoed, best speed 89.9 @ I think about 4800 with 30" prop. With 34" prop ran 89 @ 4200

Hope to pick up from engine builder today ( will be 5th or 6th week in row he said it would be ready) new 540 & going with CMI's & procharger stage 4. Hope to run about 102-110 with this motor. Big heavy bowrider in front is going to hurt my top speed but hope that standoff box makes up for it.

Love boat looks & handling. Might do a search on 26 daytona. I, & others have posted in past about how we like boat.

elimi 03-03-2002 03:13 AM

Wife & I are having a 26' daytona built (ready on march 25:p )with a 850hp 540 w/blower,new imco sc drive(2" shorty) and a stellings 12" ext.box.We will update in about a month or two and give the full ride report.We are excited!

Turbojack 03-04-2002 07:48 AM

elimi
March 25 will he here before you know it. Are you going the 2" shortie to raise your x or so you can put motor in boat lower??

Hope to dyno my 540 procharger motor this wed.

Uncle Toys 03-05-2002 05:17 PM

Hey boyz, just found this on the new board. Good to here your still around Meyer! Thought you might have gotten lost snowmobiling

Mines 2002, large open bow, twin 6.2 mercs (320 hp each), Bravo Ones with IMCO 2" shorter lowers and showers, full hyd. steering, thru hull water pick ups, 1.36 gears. Currently running 26" Bravos and waiting for a pair of 27" Mirages.

Best speed so far was 84 mph on GPS with the 25" Mirages and all over the rev limiters, props turning in. With the 26" Bravos I posted 81 mph GPS. Reading T2x I decided to turn the props out, best speed so far with the 26" Bravos was 77 mph (fairly similar conditions). Still, the handling (turning) characteristics were so much better I will probably leave them spinning out.

Approximately 16 hours of seat time so far, all but the last two hours were on a glassy lake. The last 30 minutes were in two foot wind chop and white caps as I rounded the island and headed for home (~ two miles). Decided to keep the speed up (65 mph on GPS) and see how she handled it. Got air about three times with sort of rough landings. On the fourth time the nose came up on one wave (about as high as when you get up on plane), the transom tripped on the next swell, and the nose slammed down sending up a huge spray. Didn't like that much! Slowed to 30 mph for the last mile. Any ideas?

I have only seen two other 26" Daytona owners on OSO (besides us four): Flynlow003 with a 575 sci and jspeeddemon with a 1000 hp, 10 lbs of boost package.

Posted a bunch of pictures previously. Go to my profile, then "Search for all posts by this user." at the top right.

AND WHERE'S YOUR PICTURES?

meyer 03-05-2002 11:49 PM

Uncle Toys: Nices to hear back from you. Big work load,snowmobiling and ill father has keep me off the broad for some time. Forgot family to. Hey,rough ride never had one in two footers. And I mean never ever. Try going faster, but it seems that 65 is plenty fast. Try trimming out a bit more, get more air in to the hull. Maybe your heavy open bow needs more air.

jspeeddemon 03-05-2002 11:51 PM

Uncle Toys it is great to hear your boat is doing so well, I really like the idea of twin small blocks in the 26. How does two 434 cubic inch small blocks, maybe 600 hp a piece, possibly supercharged, on the 26' Daytona platform sound, that would be hard to crowd. I am thinking of that for my next project. I think the big issue is you would have the horsepower without having to consider the drive durability.

meyer 03-06-2002 12:31 AM

Uncle Toys: Do you know dates of L A Boat show. Is it near a airport and a hotel. Thanks

Uncle Toys 03-06-2002 12:22 PM

Meyer - Sorry to hear about your father! Sounds like you've had a rough winter. Be of good spirit, boat seasons just around the corner. LA Boat Show started last Saturday and ends this Sunday. Los Angeles International is on the coast about 15 minutes (traffic permitting) from downtown and the convention center. Hotels across the street I believe. I helped out at Eliminator all last weekend, so this Saturday I am taking all the girls to the Boat Show. We will pick you up at the airport if you like.

One time you told me you mustered up the courage to get up on an airpack on some rough stuff. How big was that? How did it ride? I tried trimming it up (positive), but then Semper told me I should trim it down a little (negative) when I get in rough conditions.

jspeeddemon - I am not familiar with the 434 engine. The guys at Eliminator told us that 6.2's were the biggest that would fit. After seeing the engines installed I disagreed. But then I was shown the transom. The problem is the sponsons aren't big enough to hide the drives unless the engines are pushed outboard a lot. Even so, my inboard trim cylinders were dragging in the water (kicked out a *****en rooster tail). Eliminator made a couple of shields for the tunnels and now I don't get the cool rooster. Didn't help on the top end, but I got to figure it helps in the mid range.

Even with the IMCO 2" shorter lowers, my prop shafts are still 1" below the boat. Some of the experience guys on the board are telling me the prop shafts should be 1" to 1.5" above the bottom of the boat. I have been meaning to talk to Jerry May at Eliminator (the guy who drilled the holes) about the X dimension and whether he could have gone any higher. Will let you know if I find anything out. If your serious about putting twins in the 26' Daytona, let me know and I will introduce you to Jerry May - really cool guy!

Elimi - when you going to splash that cool looking boat?

Pictures? Here's how you do it! Take the pictures with a normal camera. Have the pictures developed onto a CD. Not very expensive and almost everyone can do it these days. Then go to "shutterfly.com" and upload the pictures to an album. Send yourself the album via email. Copy and paste the address (ulr) onto a OSO post. EASY! If you still can't figure it out, or don't have the time, mail the CD to me and I will post it for you. How easy is that?

jspeeddemon 03-06-2002 08:35 PM

Hey Uncle Toys
The 434 would be custom built pieces 4.155 bore x 4.0 stroke, and I have given strong consideration to the twin idea. i appreciate the offer for the intro to Jerry, I'll let you know.