Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next? >

28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Notices

28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

I have been battling blowout on my boat quite a bit lately and im not sure what i need to try to fix it. I have a 08 28 Daytona with 496 HOs, XR drives with standard lowers. I added a bit of weight to the boat (couple subs, batteries and a stereo) and it seemed to make the problem worse. Basically when I try to get the boat on a plane, particularily at elevation the boat will push a lot of water and right when it starts to fall over it will blow out to the point where the boat will fall back down and loose a lot of speed. Last week I had a tunnel tab put on which i thought would cure the problem, but when I put stock bravo 32s on with me and my 110lb girlfreind in the boat I couldn't even get it up on a plane at all! I ended up going back to my labbed 30s to run it but I would like to run bigger props as I am bouncing off the rev limiters with the 30s.

I have seen some boats that have huge cavitation plates (mostly DCBs) which I am thinking may be worth trying out. Also I noticed that a lot of folks have imco lowers and Imco plates. Anyone know if the plates will help? What about Imco lowers?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

sounds like your x dimension is to high. At the point you are at some props may help.Large props blow out faster. We have actually had to get on plane by making circles not fun for a pleasure boat. Getting wieght forward will help if not you will have to lower the drive.They sell one inch spacer ect.. This would be the last thing I would try. Most Eliminators are built with the same x unless specified and most can go an inch up. So make sure you dont have a ton of wieght in the back ie water ect...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

have you tried any 5 blades?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

Something is wrong. Was just with a friend that had a 28 with 2" shorties and standoff boxes. He is running 32" & tunnel tab. With tab down boat almost stays level. He has to back out of throttles a little bit right as he plans out and then he can get back in the throttles.

After rereading your post I see you do not have standoff boxes. That might be making the difference.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CheckedOut
I have been battling blowout on my boat quite a bit lately and im not sure what i need to try to fix it. I have a 08 28 Daytona with 496 HOs, XR drives with standard lowers. I added a bit of weight to the boat (couple subs, batteries and a stereo) and it seemed to make the problem worse. Basically when I try to get the boat on a plane, particularily at elevation the boat will push a lot of water and right when it starts to fall over it will blow out to the point where the boat will fall back down and loose a lot of speed. Last week I had a tunnel tab put on which i thought would cure the problem, but when I put stock bravo 32s on with me and my 110lb girlfreind in the boat I couldn't even get it up on a plane at all! I ended up going back to my labbed 30s to run it but I would like to run bigger props as I am bouncing off the rev limiters with the 30s.

I have seen some boats that have huge cavitation plates (mostly DCBs) which I am thinking may be worth trying out. Also I noticed that a lot of folks have imco lowers and Imco plates. Anyone know if the plates will help? What about Imco lowers?

Thanks!
I had this same set up in my first Elim - a 2007 28' with 496 HO's Standard Bravo XR's - came stock with 4 blade bravo 32. The heavier the boat (and steeper the swells) the more difficult it was to get on plane. Consistent blow out. When I was full of fuel or people - crazy difficult to get on plane. I also had a tunnel tab.

After much research you have the following options:
1. Try a cavitation plate.
2. Smaller prop
3. Try lowering your x-dim
4. Take anti-frustration meds before you get out on your boat every day.
5. Move up to a 5 blade prop.

The first thing I tried was moving to a 5 blade labbed 32 - and it worked immediately. I never had a blowout again. My 4 blade props instantly became my backup props.

So, I can't vouch for how successful the other options would be for you but, these were the options I discovered when I was in your shoes.....

Good luck. The 28 is a sweet boat - and my 496 HO's ran flawlessly.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered

I am thinking I am going to throw some standard length Imco lowers on it. I will use the cavitation plates that come with the Imcos and report back. Hopefully I can get another couple weeks of sun here to test, otherwise I will be testing at Havasu this coming spring.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

why not try the props first........much easier to swap those back and forth than lowers.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumb question , but are your drives tucked in when you take off, reason im asking is because the guy that bought my old boat called me when he got home and said he couldnt get the boat on plane, he figured it out a week later,after his buddy tryed it . he said the trim indicater was on 4. i have imco lowers, 32 labbed bravos, with a tunnel tab, extension boxes, jumps right on plane fully loaded six people, full of fuel, however mine is a 30 with 500 efi,s how many rpm are you spinning when it starts to blow out ?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

My 2006 28' W/ 496 H.O.'s has very little issue getting on plane.
IMCO 2" Short w/ 32 lab bravos 104 with two big dudes and lot's of fuel.
2 adults / 2 kids , 3/4 fuel is a non-issue. It does have a little bow lift but rolls over nice.
A little trick i learned years ago is to get on plane while turning the steering wheel. The angle helps pop the boat up a bit quicker and really helps with a heavy load.
I figure this is a small issue to deal with thats only a tiny fraction of time in a day of boating.
BTW- I can easily tow wake boards as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuckels
dumb question , but are your drives tucked in when you take off, reason im asking is because the guy that bought my old boat called me when he got home and said he couldnt get the boat on plane, he figured it out a week later,after his buddy tryed it . he said the trim indicater was on 4. i have imco lowers, 32 labbed bravos, with a tunnel tab, extension boxes, jumps right on plane fully loaded six people, full of fuel, however mine is a 30 with 500 efi,s how many rpm are you spinning when it starts to blow out ?
I can't get it to lay over at all if i don't tuck. I have also tried the steering trick which helps sometimes but BY FAR the best thing i did was put the tunnel tab on. Now with the 30s 5 people a full tank and at a couple thousand feet up i can get on a plane in no time.

However, I have a set of stock 32s and i can't get it on a plane at all with them. it hits about 3000 rpm which is where I get all of my blow out and then it falls back down hard.

I have got the technique down now for the 30s, i just wish i could get it up on a plane with the 32s as i am right off the limiters with the 30s. I am going to get the 32s worked on and see if there is anything they can do to make them work better for now. I have also heard that getting some cut down 5 blades is not a bad way to go, but frankly I was not a huge fan of the hydro p5x 30s that i tried.

Quick Reply: 28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.