Like Tree0Likes

1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Reply
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Port Richey, FL
My Boats: 1979 Excalibur 24, Paramount 21, 13 boston whaler
Posts: 27
Default 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Recently bought a 79 24 excalibur with a stock 350 and volvo 280 w/ trim. Boat was a dog and ran out at 40mph. Drive was mounted really low. I am currently putting a new transom and engine bedders. I am going with a bravo 1 with a high x dimension. Just up in the air about a 383 natural, 383 with a blower, or 454. Any input would be appreciated.
excalibur1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:24 AM
  #2
Registered
Trade Score: (2)
 
TxHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas
My Boats: Excalibur 27 Flat Deck Restomod
Posts: 2,914
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

I would go with the big block. You wont have to push it as hard to have the low end torque. Any pictures? How high are you going with the X.
TxHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 AM
  #3
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Western New York
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

I am also curious on the X dimension. It might be in your best interest to contact Throttle Up or BBlades for a recommendation.
RLW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Port Richey, FL
My Boats: 1979 Excalibur 24, Paramount 21, 13 boston whaler
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
I would go with the big block. You wont have to push it as hard to have the low end torque. Any pictures? How high are you going with the X.
Thanks for the input! I'm thinking about putting the cavitation plate about 2" above the bottom. I will post some pics soon.
excalibur1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Port Richey, FL
My Boats: 1979 Excalibur 24, Paramount 21, 13 boston whaler
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW
I am also curious on the X dimension. It might be in your best interest to contact Throttle Up or BBlades for a recommendation.
I'm thinking about putting the cavitation plate about 2" above the bottom
excalibur1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:02 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis Md
My Boats: 04 donzi zrc,06 donzi zfo
Posts: 678
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

I set one up at 17 3/4 with bravo 1,We ran 454 aprox 450hp the boat ran 75-77 mph,the old volvo outdrives are reliable but slow lower unit not very streamline
MDGperformance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Richmond Va.
My Boats: 1980 Excalibur 24'
Posts: 46
Exclamation Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Hello Excal 1979. I have a fully restored pristine 1980 24' with a 454/496==512 HP Dyno with a TRS. If done right this is more than enough for that hull. I have been riding and driving this hull since I was 16. I am now 48. This hull does not take well to trim and was never ment to go much over 70. With the 6.5' beam she starts to get alittle out of shape over 71 and is not safe at 75. It wasnt meant to be. But Excaliburhawk40 is right. She will be tremendous out of the hole and exciting mid-range and scoot to a smooth 65 allday long with a big block.. These numbers of 75 to 80 must be on conventional dip stick speedo's. I use a Nordskog GPS MPH set up and I am here to tell you, one must be on glass water and sitting low in the seat and have a very fine touch on the port tab to keep her from chine walking, starting to the left because of the engine torque once you get over 71.5 MPH. This is not just my set up. Don Able, Excalibur Marine's head foreman and build leader who also still visit's this site will atest to the limits of your hull. Go with the chevrolet. Also click on Excalibur Question's forum and click on the link Hawk40 put up and you get some history of your boat and pic's of mine. Let me know if you find it.
Mr. Excal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:46 PM
  #8
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Port Richey, FL
My Boats: 1979 Excalibur 24, Paramount 21, 13 boston whaler
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Thank you for all the information. I think I decided to go with a moderate 454. I am just looking for a good cruising speed with a load and a decent top end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excal
Hello Excal 1979. I have a fully restored pristine 1980 24' with a 454/496==512 HP Dyno with a TRS. If done right this is more than enough for that hull. I have been riding and driving this hull since I was 16. I am now 48. This hull does not take well to trim and was never ment to go much over 70. With the 6.5' beam she starts to get alittle out of shape over 71 and is not safe at 75. It wasnt meant to be. But Excaliburhawk40 is right. She will be tremendous out of the hole and exciting mid-range and scoot to a smooth 65 allday long with a big block.. These numbers of 75 to 80 must be on conventional dip stick speedo's. I use a Nordskog GPS MPH set up and I am here to tell you, one must be on glass water and sitting low in the seat and have a very fine touch on the port tab to keep her from chine walking, starting to the left because of the engine torque once you get over 71.5 MPH. This is not just my set up. Don Able, Excalibur Marine's head foreman and build leader who also still visit's this site will atest to the limits of your hull. Go with the chevrolet. Also click on Excalibur Question's forum and click on the link Hawk40 put up and you get some history of your boat and pic's of mine. Let me know if you find it.
excalibur1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Port Richey, FL
My Boats: 1979 Excalibur 24, Paramount 21, 13 boston whaler
Posts: 27
Default Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

I can't find where to look for those pics. Is it in the questions forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excal
Hello Excal 1979. I have a fully restored pristine 1980 24' with a 454/496==512 HP Dyno with a TRS. If done right this is more than enough for that hull. I have been riding and driving this hull since I was 16. I am now 48. This hull does not take well to trim and was never ment to go much over 70. With the 6.5' beam she starts to get alittle out of shape over 71 and is not safe at 75. It wasnt meant to be. But Excaliburhawk40 is right. She will be tremendous out of the hole and exciting mid-range and scoot to a smooth 65 allday long with a big block.. These numbers of 75 to 80 must be on conventional dip stick speedo's. I use a Nordskog GPS MPH set up and I am here to tell you, one must be on glass water and sitting low in the seat and have a very fine touch on the port tab to keep her from chine walking, starting to the left because of the engine torque once you get over 71.5 MPH. This is not just my set up. Don Able, Excalibur Marine's head foreman and build leader who also still visit's this site will atest to the limits of your hull. Go with the chevrolet. Also click on Excalibur Question's forum and click on the link Hawk40 put up and you get some history of your boat and pic's of mine. Let me know if you find it.
excalibur1979 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Richmond Va.
My Boats: 1980 Excalibur 24'
Posts: 46
Exclamation Re: 1979 24 excalibur, 383 or 454?

Yes it is in the question forum although I do not see it anymore. ask Excalibur hawk 40 for help. He knows how toget back to it.
Mr. Excal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
knarf
Excalibur
14
08-05-2009 03:48 PM
GDM
General Boating Discussion
31
09-17-2008 02:10 PM
overdrive75
Excalibur
16
09-20-2007 07:05 AM
Pantera24
General Q & A
22
04-20-2007 12:13 PM
Cowboy_Germany
General Q & A
9
04-03-2004 06:51 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.