Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
79 Excalibur 31' Barn Find!!! Should I BUY? >

79 Excalibur 31' Barn Find!!! Should I BUY?

Notices

79 Excalibur 31' Barn Find!!! Should I BUY?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 79 Excalibur 31' Barn Find!!! Should I BUY?

Sold my LS7 22' 87 Stingray SVC222 at the end of this years poker run season. Loved!!! the boat, but after 12yrs and 5 different power plant setups and some very great front runs. Someone made me and offer I could not refuse!
So I have been looking for a fall project the last few weeks. I know I want something in the 30 foot range with better freeboard,wave energy impact and ride comfort. I seen in the last 10 years as a rigger and designer for the USCG, a lot of manufactures out there fall short on hull integrity and overall longevity in this hull foot range. So as I began my quest, I remembered that about 4 years ago I rerigged a 31' Kavlar Excalibur for one of the late Al Copland's buds. I remembered being really imprest with the hull integrity, hull design, and keel layup for its age. I began looking and found a 31' foot 79 with Cris Craft badging. The teak on the floor has the Excalibar log as well as the dash bezel. It has the single bench seat at the helm. Original twin 330's,TRS drives,and merc trans. The hull has typical small cracking in gelcoat do to age and its mostly around the helm. However in the short time viewing the boat I have not found it to have Kavlar and it is v bottom, no notch in transom. The owner is asking $8,000, this boat would take a lot work to take it from the barn to the water. TRS's look like there toast!
1)So tell me what do you think?
2)What problem areas have you seen in the Excalibur 31's?
3)Has any one decoded the HIN's or order history?
4)Going to repower if I buy,what is you most favorable repower setup for this boat?
5)Any one selling a 31' Excalibur?

Last edited by NOLAperformance; 09-08-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling, add-on info
Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can probably find a turn key clean one for 15-20k. 330HP engines are not ideal to build off of. Cheap cast cranks and rods, cast pistons, peanut port heads, etc. Probably has the Merc trannies with that package, also no good for power.

The old 31 excaliburs were notorious for their fuel tanks cracking. Ideally, finding one with the pad bottom and notched transom is the hull to have. It was the 10 meter Fountain Hull, before fountain bought the hulls from Bill Farmer, who owned excalibur at that time, before he sold to wellcraft.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Mild Thunder
Note the fuel tank problems, cant recall seeing fuel tank access in the floor. May need to be cut out if bad?
And yes Merc trannies in the package, was hoping it had at least good velvet cores to build off of. I found a ten meter Fountain two years ago and unfortunately it was abused. Past on it, but really like to find a good one!

Last edited by NOLAperformance; 09-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Take a look at the 28 Apache listed here on OSO. It has everything your looking for plus almost brand new motors. It will handle up to 6ft swells. Not too far from where you are. I will consider delivery for the right offer. Can also help with lodging and transportation to/from airport. http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o40763-en.html
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Registered

TexomaPowerboater I have plans to be in Spring TX in October to tune a EFI setup I sold. Lets talk!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAperformance
TexomaPowerboater I have plans to be in Spring TX in October to tune a EFI setup I sold. Lets talk!
Sounds good man. I have plans to be at the Thunder in the Gulf races from 10/6 to 10/11, but I will be around the rest of October.

Andy

817-437-2516

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 09-08-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Thanks Andy will be in contact with you soon to work out the details! Contacting the customer in the morning to see what is his dates are in October.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Default Update

Update: In my quest for a fall project boat I found a really nice Skater. It was a bank repo with no drives and missing some gauges. But all together a really clean 40 Skater for under $20,000!!!! Past on the old 30!! Thanks to all that helped me in my quest!