Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Excalibur
'82 Excalibur -38:  What I/O engines came with it? >

'82 Excalibur -38: What I/O engines came with it?

Notices

'82 Excalibur -38: What I/O engines came with it?

Old 05-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default '82 Excalibur -38: What I/O engines came with it?

I just picked up a nice 1982 Ex. 38 with triple axle trailer this week. Nothing is wrong with it except it needs a good bath. I know the engines in it aren't original and I'd like to know what I/O engines originally came with it. So far I've seen very little that seems consistent. Could you help please?

Thanks.

Barnacle Bill

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 05-29-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some came with 330 TRS. My uncle had one with #2 speed masters and 420's. Cool boats
Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my 38 has 330's and TRS's let's see some pictures of said beast!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

O.K. Here are a couple. I haven't finished cleaning it up yet, but there's not much to do. I pulled the floors and ran new fuel lines just for peace of mind. Both of the HP 550 motors run great (both dyno'd at just under 650hp each, though, with aftermarket headers). I have a bit of scrubbing and polishing to do on the exterior, but the interior is pristine and original. I'll get pics of that later. And thank God, I counted maybe 4 pieces of wood on the exterior. One of the first things I'm doing is get rid of that hassle....too much work for this kid.

I do have a question for you that people on other forums are throwing down the BS flag when I tell them this particular stat. The engine monitors are working correctly and show that this thing is only guzzling 13gph at 3400 rpm. Is that possible? The guy I bought it from is extremely reputable, had every shred of paperwork on this boat since it was originally sold, and wot not. Is that fuel consumption even possible with the dual 510ci beasts in it? Keep in mind, I'm the 3rd owner and the original owner was a GM engineer. The paperwork he left with the boat stated these were some odd experimental type of marine engines made for the HP company.

And no, that's not my POS SporTrac

The guy on the left sold it to me. The guy on the right is my father who told me about the boat.

Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 06-05-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Outstanding looking calibur!! I wasn't so fortunate to find mine in that condition lol....and yeah that doesn't sound right....hit the water with it and you'll find out....everything I've heard on the 330's I'm running said about 70-75 gph, but hey ya never know...if it does I'll be hunting me down that motor setup!! Def throw some more up once you get it cleaned up!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

I was looking at the previous owner a little funny when he said that but sure enough, paperwork dating back to the mid 90's and both computers are showing that stat. I'll put it in the water for the first time next weekend. It takes a little bit of time to get the $800 requirement to fill the four tanks *lol*

that nasty brown pin striping is coming off though. unfortunately the interior is supposed to match. Fortunately mom is a seamstress and that can be easily remedied.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

No way in the world those engines are sipping 13 gph crusing with that load, just not possible. Well, I guess it may be possible but a meltdown would shortly follow if the HP is correct. A base 496 385HP will cruise at 19 gph in a little efficient 25 ft single boat at 3500 rpm A 500 efi in a twin engine boat burns 27 GPH each....step bottom much lighter, 470hp at that same rpm.

Don't believe the conspiracy theory that "special engineers" can get out of this world mpg but engine manufactures choose not to, to support the oil industry.....its crap. The AFR needed to support those 650HP carb engines is going to be 30+ gph each assuming it is tuned to the edge. WOT my guess is that tank will need 90-100gph total to keep it alive.

You bought a big boat, stop thinking about fuel mileage.....its a moot point.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Registered

These are EFI motors and I found that stat to be way off too! So I have no expectations that she will be a lightweight like an anorexic at an all you can eat buffet. Personally I hope Al Gore and Ed Bagley Jr. Both have simultaneous strokes when I increase my carbon footprint.

Here are some more pics. I pulled the floor to check the fuel lines and stringers for the flooring. Not bad. I have three to replace but will do them all anyway. I've cleaned the little bit of built up sludge already. Floors will go back in tomorrow after the floor paint I bought dries. Other than that I need to polish and wax her this week and help make big oil rich next Saturday. Ha ha

Still needs a little bit of cleaning. I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Registered

Yeah I had to gut my transom and stringer from the transom to the cabin!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

Ouch. All. Need to do is replace these stringers over the tanks. The hull stringers appear to be in good shape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.