Notices

Bildge paint

Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bildge paint

Will Gelcoat adhere to a sanded polyurethane surface. I just regelcoated the back of my boat and still have some gelcoat left over. The reason I ask this is that the above thread stated expoy will not adhere to polyurethane.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
Used Interlux Bilgekote and it has held up fantastic....Tough as nails
I used bilgekote on mine didn't like the grey so I am spraying with with this stuff called Perfection by Interlux. I wanted a pure white and that is what I could get at boaters world.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
I used bilgekote on mine didn't like the grey so I am spraying with with this stuff called Perfection by Interlux. I wanted a pure white and that is what I could get at boaters world.
Bilgecoat comes in white. You might have to order it.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did mine in easypoxy. Came out great and rolled right on.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
Bilgecoat comes in white. You might have to order it.
I wanted something brighter.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:11 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Easypoxy is a bright white glossy finish.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Easypoxy is a bright white glossy finish.
I tend to buy what ever Boaters World has in stock since I get the family discount then. I don't know why I get in a rush to get stuff since this is as far as I have gotten in the last three weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Bildge paint-transsm1.jpg  
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Registered

There is no better paint to coat your bilge in than AWL GRIP if you can afford it. It is by far the best. No questions asked. But it is very expensive!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:29 AM
jamess4

Gentlemen - reading through this thread there has been a lot of good comments about what has been used to coat the bilges - Keep it SIMPLE - find a paint supplier that can provide you with service and colors then READ the INSTRUCTIONS - if the paint mfg or the label does not specificly idetify the intended use of the product do not use it. You guys spend lots of $$$ and hours to get to the point of needing paint - make sure it works - For adhesion treat the surfaces as if you were going to paint the windshield of your car - of course nothing will stick well right- sand this glass surface, blast the surfaces and then anything will stick right -Coatings will stick one of two ways - chemical bond or mechanical bond. Back to painting the windshiled on your car - glass is very chemically resistant so you must rely on a mechanical bond. As for using Gel coat or other polyester resins over existing paint - Don't do it - Polyesters tend to be brittle and will often crack both in thin film and thick. the elongation properties of polyesters are poor and for that reason need to be backed with glass/ glass cloth. Exceptions of course are small areas - At the end of the day all paints are the same with in generic catagories , aliphatic polyurethanes one group, polyamide epoxies another , alkyds another etc...- all are purpose made coatings - I'm not a huge fan of West Marine/Boat US etc... for a source of purchasing paint becuase the unit price is 10X of what the same product cost as a commercial item - But they are in the niche business to provide sources of protective coatings that have instructions for each specific area of the boat - read the labels - stay away from single componet materials for use in the bilge -

Old 05-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jamess4
Gentlemen - reading through this thread there has been a lot of good comments about what has been used to coat the bilges - Keep it SIMPLE - find a paint supplier that can provide you with service and colors then READ the INSTRUCTIONS - if the paint mfg or the label does not specificly idetify the intended use of the product do not use it. You guys spend lots of $$$ and hours to get to the point of needing paint - make sure it works - For adhesion treat the surfaces as if you were going to paint the windshield of your car - of course nothing will stick well right- sand this glass surface, blast the surfaces and then anything will stick right -Coatings will stick one of two ways - chemical bond or mechanical bond. Back to painting the windshiled on your car - glass is very chemically resistant so you must rely on a mechanical bond. As for using Gel coat or other polyester resins over existing paint - Don't do it - Polyesters tend to be brittle and will often crack both in thin film and thick. the elongation properties of polyesters are poor and for that reason need to be backed with glass/ glass cloth. Exceptions of course are small areas - At the end of the day all paints are the same with in generic catagories , aliphatic polyurethanes one group, polyamide epoxies another , alkyds another etc...- all are purpose made coatings - I'm not a huge fan of West Marine/Boat US etc... for a source of purchasing paint becuase the unit price is 10X of what the same product cost as a commercial item - But they are in the niche business to provide sources of protective coatings that have instructions for each specific area of the boat - read the labels - stay away from single componet materials for use in the bilge -

Great post!

Quick Reply: Bildge paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.