Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Transom replacement gone wrong (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/104501-transom-replacement-gone-wrong.html)

jackhammer 05-31-2005 11:14 PM

Transom replacement gone wrong

1 Attachment(s)
The glass shop that was working on my boat went belly up in mid stream. At this point I have no one I can trust in the Dallas area so I'm going to try this myself using day labor.

The transom wood is all but removed and is ready for the grinder. I think I can handle the grinding part okay.

Here's where it gets ugly. The guy decided to cut the center stringer the entire length at the bottom near the hull (only one side). He cut it all the way through at the bulkhead. So the main stringer is 1 cut from being completely removed. Should I go ahead and take it out? or cut a 45 degree angle to allow for the new transom wood? I'm considering using seacast to fill the stringers.

Here's my plan for this week;

1) grind the transom clean
2) remove center stringer (or cut at 45?)
3) create templete and cut new $$ plywood
4) install one 3/4" sheet and glass
5) install 2nd sheet and glass (should be 2 1/4")

how's plan?? too easy on paper?

Zanie 06-01-2005 07:29 AM

Re: Transom replacement gone wrong

I'd cut the stringer at 45 if its solid.

Instead of 2 sheets of 3/4 with glass between (like I did mine)
you could go 3 sheets of 1/2 with glass in between. If your engine hatch isn't big enough you may have to section your boards. If you do, make sure you stagger the cuts.
DS

Zanie 06-01-2005 08:34 AM

bryanspeedracer recored the transom in his '84 fountain 10 meter and inspired me to tackle mine.
Here's his post with some pics:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...hlight=transom

VIPER7 06-01-2005 04:39 PM

I had a transom replaced some years ago and they used a special epoxy to attached the first sheet of marine plywood to the transom. Also, be sure to use marine grade plywood as exterior grade would not be acceptable.

JPD Motorsports 06-01-2005 06:52 PM

If you feel that you are in over your head give Robin a call at Superior fiberglass here in OK very good work and has been here a while.

kmiller 06-01-2005 10:36 PM

I left the stringers intac like you have them now, I cut the new bords on half and stargerd the cuts, you use epoxy between the transom and first board and then epoxy the second board to the frist, you can use a tile trawl to spred the epoxy ( use cabasil to thicken). I can give more info and photos if needed. Kyle Miller

OffshoreRescue 06-02-2005 07:01 AM

We replaced the Transom in the rescue boat last year. We used Grade A plywood (no voids, but not "Marine Grade" from Venezuela or anything (we got it at Home Depot)). 3/4 in, 2 plies. We used West System epoxy with filler (painted in the transom, and on the wood with a paintbrush), and glued in the first piece, then the second piece, and screwed into both from existing holes in transom with backer blocks. After that started to set up, we covered the whole thing with 2 layers of mat (32 If I remember correctly), filling any voids (due to non perfect cuts) with a slurry mix of shredded mat (just cut it up) and West System. We did not cut into the stringers, so I can't help with that.
This thing is as solid as a rock. I hang a 23'' setback Stainless Marine Outboard bracket with a 1983 Mercury 200hp BlackMax off of that, and it doesn't move even when travelling down the highway over the potholes.

Good Luck :drink:

jackhammer 06-02-2005 08:01 AM

Wow, great replies!! I'm glad to see so many 'do-it-yourselfers' that are happy with the results.

Well, my first day on the job when from bad to worse... June 1, was the first day I was to have access to my boat. Had it all worked out with the owner that I could work on it for 30 days inside the shop. Not only did he tell me he was NOT going to let me in the building, but that I was no longer allowed on his property! WTF?? It was also where I kept my boat stored. I think they all sniff glue up there!

I got the cops up there, showed them all the paperwork, and they all agreed there is nothing legal keeping me from my boat. We go inside the shop and there is 2 cruisers blocking my exit (on stilts). Now I am again at the mercy of the owner... the cops say that I can not touch those other boats without a court order. The owner is going to have to hire people to move the cruisers and he is in no hurry. He promised the cops he would provide me a plan next Monday. A plan!? I bet if there was a way I could charge him for keeping my boat he'd hurry his ass up a little. Is it time to get a lawyer?

Well needless to say my transom plan for the week is shot, now it's;

0.1) get boat back
0.2) find a place to work on it.

Audiofn 06-02-2005 09:51 AM

Yup get a lawer!!! Also if there is anything at all valuable on your boat GO GET IT!!!

The job sucks to do but it is doeable with some patience. Dry fit everything two or three times to make sure that you have it down. When you mix up all the resin you only have a certain amount of work time. If you use Epoxy it is much stronger and will give you quite a bit of work time if you use the slow hardener.

Jon

t500hps 06-02-2005 03:51 PM

I'd let him know the cruisers would be moved by the end of the week and you'll send him the bill, or he better let you work on your boat where it sits. (which sounds like what you wanted anyway)
-Can you "make" a new door?
-Report your property (boat) stolen and that you know where it's being hidden from you?

Good Luck