Stain related question for the painters here

Notices

Stain related question for the painters here

Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stain related question for the painters here

Did a search in this forum for keywords brown, yellow and stain, but didn't see any related threads. So I'm looking for some input from GlassDave, Graphix, et. al.

My 1990 Scarab repeatedly picks up the yellow brown water stain. It happens within a few weeks of waxing, even after I've applied 2 coats of Liquid Glass to it. I've tried every wax type and brand known to man, and nothing seems to work well except the LG, but then only a couple weeks.

Once the hull starts to turn yellow or a light brown, I have to remove the stain with a hull cleaner, and then wax the boat again. Interestingly enough, if I dont remove it via acid cleaner, it will bleach white during the week while sitting in the hot sun. But it comes back after a few hours of boating.

The gelcoat on my boat looks great, and is a glossy, mirror finish.

Today's newer boats do not appear to stain like this, and I don't know if it's because they're painted hulls, or the gel is somehow different today than in yesteryears.

My question is, will painting the hull seal the gel to the point it won't stain? And can this be done to the entire hull, including the bottom and transom?

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

Location: Solomons Island, MD, Vero Beach and Punta Gorda, FL
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Stain related question for the painters here

Keith, I boat on the Chesapeake as well and have been fighting this problem for years. Gelcote is pourous sp. and will absorb the brownish stain, new gelcote will not absorb as much, but over time will. I am not a painter, but I believe the general consensus is the there is no paint (imron, awlgrip etc) that will stick to your bottom. You are using the only product that I have found to reduce the staining, but will not altogether keep from being absorb. At one time I actually used a product called Polyglow on a 38 forumla. It basically is a clear cote applied with a special spong and it did actually keep the hull from absorbing, but would only last a month and you had to reapply. Good luck.

Ed
Old 07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
mjb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also boat in the chesapeake bay with a '97 top gun and have a terrible problem with staining. The strong hull cleaners like "on/off" will remove most of it but I'm afraid to use it too often. Will acid based hull cleaners hurt the gel coat if they are used frequently??
thanks-
Old 07-25-2005, 05:19 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

No, I've been using it for about 10 years on the same hull, it won't hurt the gel or paint, both of which are on my boat.

Home Depot has garden chemical sprayers. Fill it 3/4 to 5/6 with water, then add a little On/Off. Spraying takes it all off, but it comes back every weekend with or without wax, pain in the a$$.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 08-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paint mfg's won't reccomend paint below the water line, but I worked at Fountain PB for 18 years and have painted bottoms with Imron and Awl-Grip/Awl-Craft that looked good after 100+mph. I wouldn't keep it in the water for extended periods of time though. The porous nature of gel will always stain(like teeth) and waxed paint is what I have on my boat!