Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Repairing cracked dash on 24ft P&D (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/108337-repairing-cracked-dash-24ft-p-d.html)

jamie johnson 07-23-2005 10:06 PM

Repairing cracked dash on 24ft P&D

Yes I bought a 1978 24ft P&D bought a few months ago, and the dash was cracked on it. I had removed the gauges from the top of the dash , and filled them in with fiberglass and put new autometer gauges down lower. I had just got it finished when i took it out, and the first big wave i hit, it cracked out in the same place. I thought i had layed enough glass on it. My question is what can i do to keep the dash from flexing so much. any info will be appreciated

littledcsrodshop 07-28-2005 05:09 PM

Re: Repairing cracked dash on 24ft P&D

I usually will start out grinding the old glass pretty good, and cleaning it real well. Then I like to use 80% lean hamburger meat and heat it in the microwave on high for 5-6 minuets
( no longer ) Make shure it is no more lean than 80% because if it is you may burn a piston. Then after I get it good an hot I like to spread it out like bondo. After that dries a little,
be shure to glaze it with some mustard & brown relish. and then spay your base directly over that. It should give you a good strong dash & have a heck of a shine!! :chimp: :D

littledcsrodshop 07-28-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
I usually will start out grinding the old glass pretty good, and cleaning it real well. Then I like to use 80% lean hamburger meat and heat it in the microwave on high for 5-6 minuets
( no longer ) Make shure it is no more lean than 80% because if it is you may burn a piston. Then after I get it good an hot I like to spread it out like bondo. After that dries a little,
be shure to glaze it with some mustard & brown relish. and then spay your base directly over that. It should give you a good strong dash & have a heck of a shine!! :chimp: :D

-----------GOTCHA DOUBLE J.------------------------------
Where were you today?????????????????

KMP 08-01-2005 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by jamie johnson
Yes I bought a 1978 24ft P&D bought a few months ago, and the dash was cracked on it. I had removed the gauges from the top of the dash , and filled them in with fiberglass and put new autometer gauges down lower. I had just got it finished when i took it out, and the first big wave i hit, it cracked out in the same place. I thought i had layed enough glass on it. My question is what can i do to keep the dash from flexing so much. any info will be appreciated

Post a picture of where is is cracking. There are many ways to make it stronger, but we need to see where the weak point is for the best approach. Epoxy instead of resin would be my 1st choice for the fix. It is much stronger than the resin, more flexible and VERY STRONG. Backing the panel with Carbon Fiber will add stiffness, especially of it is across the whole panel.

KMP