Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Clear Coat over Gel Coat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/109723-clear-coat-over-gel-coat.html)

pb 08-10-2005 09:55 AM

Clear Coat over Gel Coat

On my Aggressor the deck has pruple gel coat graphics that I am playing hell with to keep from chalking. I had the entire boat buffed in the spring which came out great but the purple is clouding up already. The white of the deck still looks good.

Is it possible to mask off only the purple graphics and clear coat that area only.

What would be the procedure in doing this and also the best product to use.

Thanks
Paul

jspeeddemon 08-10-2005 10:41 AM

Re: Clear Coat over Gel Coat

I was told by Sher-Fab that clear over gel is no problem.

Audiofn 08-10-2005 10:46 AM

If you do this you need to make sure that ALL your chalk is gone before you clear it or you will see it though the clear and obviously never get it out.

Jon

chuckgo6 08-20-2005 01:29 PM

I had a boat that the top was clear coated and was maroon and black and never faded(it works) and some of the clear coat started peeling and the fade was bad in the spots that were not protected I would ask your local body shop about doing it.
Good Luck!

customtouch 08-20-2005 02:09 PM

Yes, It is possible to just spray clear over GelCoat. However if you are going to the trouble of masking and prepping the intire suface of the purple anyway, you would be better of to spray on more purple before clearing it again. This will insure that the color will not oxidize again and (if done properly) guarantees a permanent solution. The extra cost of the base would be minimal but worth its weight in gold if you plan on keeping the boat for a while! It will be the same amount of labor either way. I have had to deal with this situation many times in my buisness.

pb 08-21-2005 10:36 PM

Thanks for the responses,

I spent the afternoon rubbing out the purple areas and then waxing the entire deck. Looks great but do not want to do this every month. Plan B for next year.

Paul

ThirdBird 08-23-2005 11:14 AM

Wet sand the purple then clear it. Looks perfect. Plus, the sanding assures proper adherance.

Gmoney52 08-24-2005 01:19 AM

Either sand with #400 then clear (wipe with wet rag [H2O] to see what it will look like cleared) or as customtouch states, a good single stage color dusted on top B-4 clearing will guarantee a uniform color and will be alot deeper in apperance as well as more UV protected. Single stage urethanes eliminate the use of a primer/sealer that a base coat would need for adhesion. Tape off stripe, de-wax then ScotchBrite with a 3M #7447 maroon pad (like #320). Good Luck!