Pro's and Con's of single stage paint >

Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Notices

Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pro's and Con's of single stage paint

Are you saying that I can/should clear over the single stage for a better gloss.

Not necessarily if it is white or light blue or yellow (fighting lady yellow), but most others would be advisable. Awl-Grip/Craft advises against clear over whites (may yellow some)

I like the idea of single stage in case I have to do a repair, it would be easier to fix without dealing with the clear.

I disagree. Blends are achieved best with clear and if you have to sand and buff, uncleared paint can change color when sanded! I learned the hard way!

And how important is it to prime or seal.

I never did when using the old Imron and never had an adhesion problem. I like PPG K36S sealer because it goes a long way, sticks well, and can be tinted to give a uniform base for topcoats( no streaks or lite and dark spots and use less paint[save time and $]) Cheap insurance.

If I clear can I color sand it first?

If you aren't sanding color. Clear last coat, sand #600, wipe w/ H20, tack well and re-clear w/ 2 coats and let her shine!G$
Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

Johnny, As I stated before, there are many solutions to a problem. The ultimate way to go is a basecoat clearcoat system, adding hardner to the base to make it more chemically resistant, and using a thin coat of sealer as an adhesion promoter. All singlestage paints are going to oxidize quicker! The key is what you are trying to get away with to save money! If you even think you might keep the boat over 3 to 5 years don't cut any corners! You will regret not doing it right the first time! I have seen it too many times! If you plan on selling it before that and you take extremely good care of it (including keeping it out of the sun as much as possible) you would probably be ok with single-stage. I personally recomend if you are going to the trouble to do it, do it right and be done with it! You might like it and want to keep it! The extra cost to do it right the first time is nothing compared to doing it again!! (Only my Opinion!) GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

customtouch is right about cutting corners, the labor is the expensive part so you only want to do it once. The cost is not much when you consider you may be doubling the life of the paint job by buying good "insurance". A classic case of you get what you pay for. Besides, how many times has the notion of selling disappeared once you see it painted?G$