Rot Rot and more Rot >

Rot Rot and more Rot

Notices

Rot Rot and more Rot

Old 09-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rot Rot and more Rot

Major Nightmare tore out floor everything rotted all the way to the nose. Have gone so far now i have no choice but to fix.
Cant trust no one else so i will do it myself. Have some questions,

1. Which type of mat do i use on the stringers
2. Which type of mat do i use to attach them to the hull
3. Foam Who is a good supplier

Any other sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
I will be working on gutting whats left over next 2 weeks.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rot Rot and more Rot

Check out my play by play in the General Q&A if you want. There are lots of different ways to do it, and obviously the costs will very quite a bit.

Jon
Old 09-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superwrench, I'm a rookie myself... what I've learned so far is that there are 10 different ways to do the same thing, and that there is no real consensus between the experts on which is the best way. Therefore, it lead me to believe that if I did my project and it worked… then I did it correctly.

I went to eBay and bought the 50# sampling of cloth from this guy; http://stores.ebay.com/OutbackSoluti...toreviewQQtZkm -- All of it works, but I found that using the light biaxial is the easiest to work with (for me). I did the big portions (the transom) using the heavy biaxial but you really have to pour on the epoxy to get that sufficiently wet. When I do my floor I will probably use the light biaxial again, 2 layers on the bottom and 3 on top.

I used the non-blush epoxy from this guy http://www.jgreer.com/index.htm and from US Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html I liked the 635 slow cure the best so far… averaged $34/gal including shipping. It’s freaking hot in Dallas and I’ve never had a pot life problem with the 635 stuff. The last guys also have the foam.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Good luck with everything, it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Dave
Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

If the floor is rotten better check the transom and stringers there is a good chance they are shot also. And you might as well get it all while your in there.

You have a lot of dirty work ahead of you. Keep in mind just because it looks good doesn't mean u have the correct structural strength. Some things are better left to the pros. But i am bias.

Jim
Old 09-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Registered

I had it at a professional. He did the survey said just transom and one engine mount. New transom is in but no new engine mount. Now i have completly taken everything out down to bare hull. Still have some grinding sanding to do then i can start getting ready to go back together. Bigest problem is fighting the itchys. Allready useing the disposable paint suits.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by superwrench0166
I had it at a professional. He did the survey said just transom and one engine mount. New transom is in but no new engine mount. Now i have completly taken everything out down to bare hull. Still have some grinding sanding to do then i can start getting ready to go back together. Bigest problem is fighting the itchys. Allready useing the disposable paint suits.
Ah the old "might as wells"
Old 10-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Rot Rot and more Rot

I'm doing the same found loose glass up front wet under floor in the cabin area boats been in my portable garage last two years ?? but before I start I'm going for a ride this weekend I'll stay in calm waters been working on drive and stuff for the last month so I need a rde then I'LL CUT EVERY THING OUT AND get it done by spring I hope. now would decolite balsa be better for new bulkheads and flooring stringers I now its more than m plywood but if I could save300to 400 pounds and be stonger I'd do it what do you guys think??? thanks art
Old 10-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Art you should tow that rig up my way and we can have a buddy of mine take a look at it. I may be dropping my boat off to him if I can finish up the trailer this weekend. He knows all about the high tech stuff and can definatly help ya out. If you need anything from Composite 1 let me know, I am a dealer for them.

Jon
Old 10-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Rot Rot and more Rot

thanks jon that sounds like a good way to go, I took it out to day 1st time in what 2 1/2years I hit a tach reading of 5100rpms with the labbed 26p hoping for more ,then I reset the bowls on the carb that made a differents Ithen lost the tach jumping a big wake and later pulled away from my buddies 24 super boat which has about550to575hp and runs 72 to 75 he had about 10 gallons and I had about 45 and I can add to my list to finish my ex steering to the helm I WAS CHINE WALKING REAL BAD MY CABLE must of stretched or some thing plus the boat flexing I needed the ride so in two weeks I'LL START TAKING EVERY THING OUT DRIVE MOTOR NEW SEATS NEXT WEEK ONE MORE RIDE I HOPE sunday rest day because my knees are swollen , can't wait for the new ones this winter jon I'll call yah thanks art

Quick Reply: Rot Rot and more Rot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.