Trouble with Finesse-It II

Notices

Trouble with Finesse-It II

Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trouble with Finesse-It II

This year I bought myself a 7" Makita vairiable speed polisher with both compound and polishing pads.
I stopped and picked up a bottle of 3M Super Duty Compound and a bottle of Finesse-It II.
The compund I'm having no trouble using, but what is the best way to use the Finesse-It. I've followed the directions, but the darn stuff is hard to remove. I've tried buffing till it disappears, but it still leaves some residue behind that won't rub off. I've tried leaving it a touch wet, but still can't get it off easily. My last resort was to compound over it to get the stuff off.
What am I doing wrong????
Old 03-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Re: Trouble with Finesse-It II

First the best set up is the 3M hook-it system , basically the pads attach with velcro like material , allows for easy pad changes. Use the correct FOAM pad for the cut / grit of compound you are working with ,the foam pads work better with compounds than lambswool , and keep it reasonable clean. When using the Finesse-It apply only enough to work an area about 2' x 2' , a little of this stuff goes a long way. If your finish is in so so shape you may be further ahead to wet sand it first , starting around 1500 grit and working up to 2500 or 3000. The advantages of wet sanding are that often it is faster , and you will end up with a much better finish. Back to the Finesse-It ; I usually work a given area several times to get the shine I want , with the foam pads , do the entire boat - or sections - your choice - this way. With a variable speed buffer you want to be at 1000-1200 RPM for this process , faster only throws chit all over the place and this stuff is not cheap. When you have completed this step ,be it the entire boat or even one entire side of you hull - try to pick logical break points . Then the trick I always use is to go back over the area using the Finesse-It , EVEN LESS of it this time , now using a lambswool pad. This really brings the shine out. When doing this I kick the speed up to 1600-1800 RPM. When done clean the area with Maguires Final Inspection , best I've found , or like product and then wax. My wax process has always been Maguires marine cleaner wax followed by the liquid Collonite pure wax. Put it on with an orbital waxer , take it off by hand. This is a long , involved process but when done your boat will literally look better than new !!!!!
I helped / did a friends '03 34 Sea Ray cruiser two weeks ago. This is a huge hunk of fiberglass an I used 2 16 oz. bottles of the Finesse-It to do the entire hull , to give you a guide. Sounds , based on comments , like you may be using too much product and that may be why you are having the residue problems. My suggestion would be try using less , keep the pad clean , go over the area several times rather than trying to get it all in one shot. As you work keep the area clean. The buffer speeds are important also , if your's is not a varible speed one - take it back and get one that is.
Every boat I've owned has been done this way going back more than 20 years , it works ! Always get complimented on how they look like the crown jewles and once done it is sinple to maintain with periodic waxing. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-27-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks RaggedEdge. I see that I may have been using too much product and RPM.
The finish is coming out really nice. Just geting frustrated with the Finesse-It.
The 18 year old hull isn't bad enough to warrant a wet sanding. The 3M compound has performed miricales so far. I'm not looking for perfection just yet, but right now there is one hell of a reflection in the surface. I can almost use it for a mirror.
I know about only working on a small section at a time. I worked in a auto body shop for a while and learned to buff using a high speed angle grinder.

The Makita polisher I bought is a variable speed with electronic control. You "Set it and forget it". It'll maintain set speed under load.
The pads that came with it is a hook-loop type pad system. I'll look into a foam pad system as soon as I can.

Thanks for the advice and I'll hunt the products down that you mentioned.

Iggy

Last edited by Iggy; 03-27-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the 3M polishing pad I use with good success:
05713 Polish pad for FineseIt II (yellow)

I found if you keep moving the buffer over the 2x2 area and make several passes it works better than trying to do it in one slow pass. You need to find the best moving speed. If you go to slow it seems to buildup and leave the residue that is hard to get off. Once you find the proper speed you will not get the buildup. I also, run the buffer at 1500-1800 with this product.

Also, if you keep a cloth handy and wipe the polishing pad after every section it keeps the pad from building up with too much product and you have less of a chance of getting the buildup.

A good cleaning product that use before polishing/wax works good at removing any buildup that you should have.

I use the cleaner before waxing to get surface clean of any of this then apply wax.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had much success with finesse it systems....remember on a wool pad to spur the pad frequently...or you are just grinding the stuff back in...On a foam pad use compressed air to clean it ...and wash between buffing and glazing
Old 03-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

with the fines it II, is that applyed after a compound, what exactly is it, right now i have a dewalt buffer, ive applyed the 3M compound that worked great, next i was going to use the 3M color restorer, then finish it up with the 3M wax, is this the best means, or should i look into the fines,
Old 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Registered

Iggy ,

Glad to be of help. The reason I mentioned the wet sanding was that it is actually quicker in most cases than trying to get to the same point with the compound alone , just a matter of preference. Gel coat is a porous surface and over time absorbs dirt etc. and also weathers - we all refer to as chaulking , the wet sanding essentially cuts thru the crud real quick , essentially gives you a fresh surface to start with. I have done " The Process " on new boats , but then when it comes to SHINE I can be somewhat a case of self inflicted excess. Whatever hook'n loop system you have you should be able to get foam pads to go with it. The foam pads I use with the Finesse - It have a waffle like surface which helps to hold the product giving you more time to work it. Sounds like you invested in a quality buffer. The wax products I believe you should be able to get thru Boat US / West Marine and the Maguires Final Inspection from any auto supply that caters to the auto body business. There's nothing as satisfying as stepping back and taking in that mirror shine , and knowing you put it there!!!!! Again , Good Luck.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect it 2...or 3 is the compound I use ....perfect it also has a glaze to remove swirls.....as an alternative ...finesse can be used as a glaze. I use it on a black foam pad designed for glazing...(removing swirl marks left from compounding)...To take it a step further I hand glaze after machine glazing

Finesse...
Old 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

Boomer35 ,

Since I'm into this ----- The Finesse-It is a very fine , 3000 grit , finishing polish that will give you that mirror like shine. I'm a real fan , probably figured that by now. The Color Restorer I assume is Maguires product , and is ment to be a quick fix for an oxidized surface , lots of oils to help the shine , have tried it , works for it's intended purpose , but if you are looking for the lasting shine skip it. Go with the Finesse-It followed up with the wax process. To explain the polishing process in real simple terms , you are scratching the surface with progressively finer grit materials , until they are so fine that you no longer see them with the naked eye. Just as in sanding where you may start with a course paper and follow with several sandings with finer grade papers. Polishing is the same deal , only the materials are much much finer.
Hope this helps , not to sound like an ass ,but I do shine when it comes to SHINE. My friends bust on me all the time for all the time I spend I spend on my Fountain , but never turn down the offer of the helping hand.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-27-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lots of good tips guys. It's been a long long time since I worked a buffer.
I need to remember to spur the pads more often. I could see the build up on the pad when using the Finesse. I still have the deck and stern to do yet. I'll keep your suggestions in mind as I work it this Friday.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Finesse-It II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.