Wet sanding Allgrip

Notices

Wet sanding Allgrip

Old 06-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet sanding Allgrip

How long do I have to wait before I can wet sand, compound and polish small imperfections in my new paint. Color is Off White Allgrip?
I am using 3M products and 1500 sand paper. Also I have a lot of over spray on transom assembly and not sure what to use to get it off. The paint job was one of those good deals from a friend.

Thanks Todd
Old 06-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wet sanding Allgrip

As long as it Awlcraft 2000 it can be wet sanded. There is another Awlgrip paint that can not be wet sanded. So I would make sure you test spot first. But to answer your question I did my whole boat the next day with no problems. You'll know if it isn't dry.

Last edited by vandeano; 06-29-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

you can wet sand both, I have often, we have 6 aircraft all painted in alumigrip.I would suggest waiting atleast a week.It cures by a chemical reaction so the air dosent have alot to do with it. I would use 2000 grit with soapy water.1500 is a bit coarse.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member

The paint is the professional Awlgrip not the 2000 and I did sand with the 1500 on the back side of the dashboard for a test and I could see some very fine scratches I will use 2000 on boat.

thanks guy's.
Attached Thumbnails Wet sanding Allgrip-dsc02408.jpg   Wet sanding Allgrip-dsc02395.jpg  
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Registered

I also to finish up use 3000 on a 8" da with water
Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Can I use 3000 by hand? I don't have a DA and I never have done this type of work before.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drgnrydr
you can wet sand both, I have often, we have 6 aircraft all painted in alumigrip.I would suggest waiting atleast a week.It cures by a chemical reaction so the air dosent have alot to do with it. I would use 2000 grit with soapy water.1500 is a bit coarse.
YOU CAN NOT COLOR SAND AWLGRIP PROFESSIONAL

You must be using something different then I used. Awlcraft 2000 is all done by temperature. There our like 4 different additives that you can use according to what the temperature is going to be when you paint. I could be wrong, but I thought it said longer you wait the harder it is to color sand. Anyway, I color sanded mine the next day and had no problems. The other Awlgrip stats in very HUGE LETTERS THIS PAINT CANNOT BE POLISHED OR BUFFED!

Last edited by vandeano; 06-27-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Registered

I really dont think this guy is going to paint his fiberglass boat with Aumigrip. Unless he is talking about an aluminum fishing boat.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Registered

I also to finish up use 3000 on a 8" da with water

Man that is totally crazy.....wet sand by hand then machine polish. Your playing with fire if you wet sand with a machine. This one of the most important parts of painting. Painting is the easy part. Color sanding is what separates a professional look from a Maco look. TRUST ME ON THIS, COLOR SAND WITH A BLOCK BY HAND. It is not that hard.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Registered

I second the by hand for the wet sanding. I wet sanded my 28' footer by hand and it does not take that long. You will spend less money by hand, and not get yourself in trouble. I would recommend a good pair of rubber gloves to save your hands. How did the paint turn out ? Orange peel? Runs? Dirt?

Quick Reply: Wet sanding Allgrip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.