Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Boat Wax, 1 coat per year??? >

Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Notices

Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres what the boat looks like. The only thing I've done to it is just cleaned the bottom. Its going to get a new paint job. We'll polish it up Saturday. I'll post a few pics up then.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???-awesome.bmp  
Old 08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered

Ok since I have been getting alot of calls on Leverage for 1 week only (8/28-9/5) I am going to offer the Triple Pack which includes a 16oz bottle of the Polish, Oxidation Remover and Vinyl Protectant for 40 bucks plus S&H thats like getting one bottle free or 20 bucks off. It can be purchased at the SoCal Store section at www.socaldetail.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by So-Cal Detail
Ok since I have been getting alot of calls on Leverage for 1 week only (8/28-9/5) I am going to offer the Triple Pack which includes a 16oz bottle of the Polish, Oxidation Remover and Vinyl Protectant for 40 bucks plus S&H thats like getting one bottle free or 20 bucks off. It can be purchased at the SoCal Store section at www.socaldetail.com
4 more days.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered

Holy smokes.... that was a long read... but a good one! Anyone w/a same first name (Donnie) and posting Purdue links must be a good guy!

Donnie, I'll be taking delivery of a new boat in about a month. The builder says that he puts a "sealer" on it and that he will give me a quart container of it for future use. He said that I don't really need to use a wax to prevent oxidation or make a shine as long as I keep the sealer on it. Do you know anything about using a "sealer"... I've always been old school and used waxes... but after reading this thread, maybe I have learend a few things. The question is, do you know anything about "sealers" in general and does your Leverage work as a sealer? I figure I'd like to start the new boat on the right track and would like to figure out if using the "sealer" that the manufacturer provides is a good approach or if using Leverage is a better one? I don't know the brand of the sealer he uses. But he uses it for all his custom boats once he wet sands all the way to 2000 grit and then seals.

Thanks for your time and effort Donnie!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered

Hi D,

Who's painting your boat? If it's Mitcher T then your final coat will be Leverage. A sealer can mean allot of products, so it's hard to say what he's referring to. Personally, I've not come across any type of fiberglass paste 'sealant' that offers UV Protection with a glass finish and that dosen't start to peel after a few months. 2000 grit is fine, but then we usually buff afterwards then polish with the spray. We've done a ton of new boats and no matter what the factory uses I've always put a coat of Polish on before it hits the water. It's extremely easy to apply, maintain and will keep it looking great. Let me know if I can help.

Donnie
Old 09-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marineclean
Hi D,

Who's painting your boat? If it's Mitcher T then your final coat will be Leverage. A sealer can mean allot of products, so it's hard to say what he's referring to. Personally, I've not come across any type of fiberglass paste 'sealant' that offers UV Protection with a glass finish and that dosen't start to peel after a few months. 2000 grit is fine, but then we usually buff afterwards then polish with the spray. We've done a ton of new boats and no matter what the factory uses I've always put a coat of Polish on before it hits the water. It's extremely easy to apply, maintain and will keep it looking great. Let me know if I can help.

Donnie
Hey Donnie, Yeah, I think you're right... they go with 2000 grit, then buff, then seal. Not sure what it is though they seal with. It's not an external paint though, it is the normal gel coat process laid in. My boat will have some red in it so I was worried about oxidation and that's when he told me to just make sure I continue using the sealer. Does the Leverage basically seal the boat as well and then also provide UV protection. Thanks man!

Last edited by Break'inWind; 09-23-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Hey Donnie, the boat builder said it wasn't Leverage they used. He said it was called "Red"-something... He may have said "Red-Chem" or something like that. Ever heard of that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Thanks again Donnie for all your help. I got in contact with Jim over at Top Notch and put in a 'package' order of a handful of products. Now I just need a boat to go with it . That should be soon though.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Donnie,
Anyone selling your products here in Texas?
Jay
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by never enuff
Donnie,
Anyone selling your products here in Texas?
Jay
How close is Cedar Creek from Texarkana? Western Arkansas?

Quick Reply: Boat Wax, 1 coat per year???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.