Notices

carnuba wax???

Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get Frenzy Wax, it's made from pure white carnuba.
Advertised as removes all old wax as you apply the new wax coat. Don't know how that works, but that's what they say. then I don't know why a hunk of cement can float either, but it can.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if gel coat needs to breathe, what happens when you clear coat over it like most of todays new paint jobs? Does it still breathe thru the clear coat?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

I based my research soley on my own experience over many years.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda

Your mileage may vary.
Certain restrictions apply, please consult dealer and give first born for further instructions, Press 1 for English..........
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your mileage may vary.

Me too.
When I no longer slip off the deck of the boat, I wax it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Registered

My boat did turn quite yellow over a 3-4 year period. Had it professionally detailed and it is back to white again! I was using Star Brite and Meguiars. Don't what to use, I can't afford to have it professinally done every couple of years.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I can't afford to have it professinally done every couple of years.
I can. My detailer works cheap.
Attached Thumbnails carnuba wax???-jgriffbuff3.jpg  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Screw IT
So if gel coat needs to breathe, what happens when you clear coat over it like most of todays new paint jobs? Does it still breathe thru the clear coat?

Would throw up the same question in my mind. I've always understood that gel coat is a somewhat porous material that needs to be sealed,in some fashion, to protect it. Being porous it can, over time, pick up and hold some dirt, for lack of a more techical term, and the result can be discoloration of some sort. IE> bottom stains that require agressive cleaning such as acid bottom wash to remove. I have never heard that it needs to be alowed to breath. That being the case, no manufacturer would apply any form of paint, by doing so it would make them responsible for any resulting damage. Perhaps Marieclean has some info on this that we are unaware of, maybe he could share that here.

On my own boats, always inside for storage and boathouse kept in season, I've always found that a solid/regular program of cleaning, a once a year buff with 3M Finesse-it followed by a good quality wax gets rid of/keeps the crud from biulding up/collecting. If you want that perfect shine there are no short cuts, at least that I have ever found, and I've tried most every wonder product out there.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 03-29-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

I can. My detailer works cheap.
Hired!

Tell her we only average 5 boats per day ranging from 21' to 105'. Great scenery and cold bottled water included.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Screw IT
It's the reaction of Carnauba, the Sun and a Fiberglass surface that causes the problem. We have watched clear coated boats for the past few years and the problem has not been 'as' bad versus gel.

From our research;
Carnauba acts like icing on a cake. It seems to clog the surface and actually produce a layer that, when mixed with the sun, dries the surface out and causes oxidation and chalking. Clear is not having oxidation problems as bad as gel, but certain waxes containg carnauba are still producing premature oxidation.

Scre It,
This is what we have found in our own research when working with different products. Please let me know if this helps.

Donnie

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
My boat did turn quite yellow over a 3-4 year period. Had it professionally detailed and it is back to white again! I was using Star Brite and Meguiars. Don't what to use, I can't afford to have it professinally done every couple of years.
Teflon seals, Carnauba seals. Let's say you put MG's with carnauba on and then then sealed it with teflon? I know you keep your boat cleaned and washed, but it still turned yellow and was going to no matter what you did to keep it clean. It was the reaction with the surface and the chemicals.

FYI; Star Brite with PTEF contains (flammability #2)
15% Petroleum Distillates
20% Kerosene
5% Alcohol
and those are just a few of the ingredients

So Please, No smoking or open flames around the boat.

Please try my Leverage Polish when you get a chance.

Donnie

Quick Reply: carnuba wax???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.