Notices

Re-Gel Coat?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Gel Coat?

I have a 2000 24' Superboat that is showing some spider cracks in the gel along the gunwales. Is it feasible to have the boat re-gel coated from the rub rails up? What would one expect to pay for this? The deck is solid white with no graphics. Just curious.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Real good guy will be able to blend the areas for you.

Jon
Old 03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Registered

So you're just saying have someone repair the cracks specifically and not re-gel the whole deck. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would as long as you can find a good guy that can blend. I am assuming it is just a few spots and not all the way around the boat.....
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the gel is lusterous & otherwise in ggod shape and.. it is just a few small cracks get it repaired & blended..

If there are numerous cracks & the areas are badly faded then regel.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered

It's probably 4 or 5 spiders down each side. I think it was all from one trip to LOTO. We took a real beating that weekend!

They are pretty good size too. I would say 3"-4" diameter.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell what then you should do without seeing it first hand. If the cracks are large & spread all over the place you would probably be best off grinding out the damage & then repair, reinforce and regel the sides.. Again If I was there to see it I would be better able to tell ya.. Otherwise I would just repair as mentioned a few times earlier.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay,
Any good glass guy should be able to blend the areas in. He has to use Patch Aid or similar product, and you shouldn''t be able to tell.

Rick
Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Rick. We are supposed to have some excellent fiberglass guys at a Marina over at Grand. I'll drop by there and see if they think it will work out ok.

Also, do you have any info on the gel on my boat? I had the shifter cable replced last season, and the marina scratched the gel putting it on the service lift. It is pretty skinny! They tried to match the color, but were unable. They said they needed to talk to you guys about the correct gel. It is Sean Dutra's old boat.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawk261
Thanks Rick. We are supposed to have some excellent fiberglass guys at a Marina over at Grand. I'll drop by there and see if they think it will work out ok.

Also, do you have any info on the gel on my boat? I had the shifter cable replced last season, and the marina scratched the gel putting it on the service lift. It is pretty skinny! They tried to match the color, but were unable. They said they needed to talk to you guys about the correct gel. It is Sean Dutra's old boat.
Jay,
Call Coen, and we'll get out some white gel to you. 631-226-1761.
Your glass guy can also contact Minicraft in Florida for the reducer (Patch-aid) if he doesn't have any. Mixed 1/3 reducer to 2/3 gelcoat. If done correctly, you won't see the repair.
Here is the link to Minicraft.
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/reducers.htm

Rick

Quick Reply: Re-Gel Coat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.