Fiberglass Winshields >

Fiberglass Winshields

Notices

Fiberglass Winshields

Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass Winshields

I own a 1995 29 Scarab, now with a glass windshield. I would like to remove the windshield and install a smaller more porfile white windshield, but can't seem to find who does this and or how hard is it? Can anyone help me.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 493 Likes on 269 Posts

It's not that hard if you know how to use glass and composites.
looks cool when done.
Audiofn did it to his Formula 302 and I am going to be doing it to my 233 as soon as it's flipped back over.
If you don't have somebody lined up to do it by now, it's probably going to be a winter project.
Somebody close to you will offer their services.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing the same thing. Following is what I did.

I started by making a paper fairing using popcycle sticks, construction paper, and a glue gun.
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Winshields-fairing-6-oso.jpg   Fiberglass Winshields-fairing-8-oso.jpg   Fiberglass Winshields-fairing-project-001.jpg  

Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

More pics...

When I first started I wanted a cig style (closed). It's like a grade school project making out of paper... my wife even enjoyed helping!

When I was finished with the paper, it layed out flat and gave me a perfect outline to cut.

Knowing I was going to glass it, my first attempt I use an 1/8" sheet of something like luan. It had plastic on one side like a whiteboard. It got bent all out of shape when I soaked in some resin.

My second attempt was some kind of foam sheet... can't remember now. It also sagged (because of lack of support).
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Winshields-fairing-project-002.jpg   Fiberglass Winshields-fairing-project-003.jpg  
Old 05-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

This attempt I think I have it. It's normal sign grade PVC. I made a test fairing using scrap the plastic company had before buying a full sheet. The resin I use sticks to it pretty damn good (normal 635 thin w/non-blushing slow hardner). So I'm going to leave the PVC there and glass over the top of it.

I made the rail it sits on using the old rail. At first I was going to try to make a closed in fairing, but the rail makes it real sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Winshields-semi-assembled-cockpit.jpg   Fiberglass Winshields-side-2.jpg   Fiberglass Winshields-front-pvc-fairing.jpg  

Old 05-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered

I forgot to mention I have no idea what I'm doing... and I would never attempt doing this myself on a boat that has value. Everything I've done takes me about 3 times longer and ends up half as good (as a real pro's work). but the price is right
Old 05-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Registered

Wellcraft made one for the p29 and it was a option on the 29 but as we all know genmar killed the scarabs. When they were still making them I tried to get the foot rest for the pass side and the windshield to no avail. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Registered

Jack hammer

Nice pictures it definitely helps explain it; I have also been thinking about a similar project, is it safe to assume that you could not put a door in the finished product?

Jim
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Registered

Well... I suppose it's possible
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass Winshields-semi%2520assembled%2520cockpit.jpg  
Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 493 Likes on 269 Posts

Lmao!!

Last edited by resurrected; 06-01-2007 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Winshields

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.