Laying stringers >

Laying stringers

Notices

Laying stringers

Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laying stringers

could someone explain tabbing i plan on covering the stringers completely with the cloth going out at least 12 inches on each side first layer then shorter on next layers. do i need to add more right where they meet the floor. Trying to figure out how much cloth i need now Really giving me a headache. Then i have to figure out how much resin.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

If I'm not mistaken , you start out tabbing with shorter pieces first and then progress up to the larger overlapping layers one by one.

If your new stringers a made of wood of any sort it's a good idea to make sure they are completely sealed with resin before you start laying wet cloth over them. It's a small procedure overlooked by many but very important as it prevents the dry wood from wicking all the resin away from the cloth that needs it for a good bond to the stringer.

Get plenty of material .. ya don't want to run out three quarters of the way before the end !
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

12" Is probably much to far to be tabbing out. You do not want the edges of each tab to end on top of one another. In other words they should be staggered.
If you look in the General Q&A area for a thread by myself on stringer replacement I have most of the steps documented. It may help. I would highly advise that you get some help from some one that knows what they are doing. Use to much resin and you will get a week bond and to little and you will likely delaminate..... There are TONS of tricks that you can do and would learn from a pro....

Jon
Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

Default I would not use it but,

West System makes an awsome book for general knowldge of repairs. all you need is to use poly instead of West.

Composite's One can provide cloth and resin needs if you get some measurements.

Billy
Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

You sound like you know West, you must have read the report on bounding poly to poly it is not a good repair, that is why west developed their system epoxy to poly for repair. Does any hi performance boat company even use poly anymore? No! Epoyy or vinyl esters which are modified epoxy's just cheaper.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm with BU, use poly. West viscosity is WAY to high to be able to wet out properly. while epoxy has its place it really isnt necessary for something like this. Its all about prep work, just make sure you grind the area very well first. also make sure you have at least a half inch radius on the edges of the stringer to let the laminate make the bend easier. 2 layers of 1808 is a good cap chop side down.

http://www.uscomposites.com/

us composites is a great supplier for the do-it-yourselfer. they have great pricing on smaller quantities and have everything you need. if you do feel the need to use epoxy try their 635 resin.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered

You can prep till the cows come home, polyester does not bond well to itself, period. That is why we have the West system they are making millions in the boat repair arena. But people will do what people will do, if it looks pretty who cares if it breaks.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered

Also please explain the viscosity wetting out thing? They make several different hardners, with pot life from several hours to several days. Has anyone ever used the product on here before?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superwrench, do yourself a favor... look back through the years of posts by Glassdave, Audiofn, Offshore Ginger and some do it yourselfers too like Zanie and a few others. There is at least 100 years of combined experience here and they wont steer you wrong.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, if you really want the skinny on epoxies talk to this guy, John Greer. He mixes his own and will explain in laymans terms the difference in what he mixes vs. the big names. Nice guy (and he knows what viscosity means).

http://www.jgreer.com

Quick Reply: Laying stringers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.