refurbishing my hull >

refurbishing my hull

Notices

refurbishing my hull

Old 07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool refurbishing my hull

hey guys new to this maybe some body can give me an idea on the cost of restoring the bottom of my hull has some little cracking and tinny blisters starting the boat is a 221 liberator. i have a body shop but have now way to paint bottom besides i do street rods not boats let me know guys wisconsin area please

Last edited by rob 221 lib man; 07-03-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

if you mean from the hard chine down you cant use automotive paint on the the running surface(or shouldnt actually). It mustbe gel coat. it is also very much worth the extra effort. if you dont have the ability to access the whole bottom of the boat you would still be better off spoting in the damaged gel than trying to paint the bottom. in the long run paint has a hard time lasting very long especially if you use it regularly.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Registered

ya the bottom of the boat chine down needs to be re done. there are some small bumps or blisters started and small spider cracks in the jell coat. im a little worried aboat trying to repair it and re jelcoat it myself its not quite like the corvettes ive done this needs to hold up to water and wave force ect. i was just wondering if there is anyone in the wisconsin area that does this and can give me a ballpark figure. thanks for info.

Last edited by rob 221 lib man; 07-06-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Registered

I know this boat probally isn't worth sticking that kind of work or money into it's a 1990 four winns 221 liberator but i love the boat it's rare and you don't see to many of the 90's style liberators. so i place the worth a little higher than most would.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I know exactly what ya mean. I like those 221 Libs, pretty well layed out boat for a 21. Well, i'm not to far away if you need to get it done also I think Bottoms Up is in indiana as well. just off the top of my head you would be in the 3500-4500 range to get the entire bottom re gelcoated hard chine down.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

how far away from beloit wisconsin are ya i might just spend the money i already have plenty into it and this is realy the only flaw
Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Default We do alot of blister repair for

Glastron , Larson
Baja
Us Marine
Wellcraft

Just to name a few. We are located near the IL, Wi border and Beloit is about an hour away. We are 10 min south of Wilmot mountain. Come by and we can provide a free estimate and go from there.

Glassdave, thanks for the shameless plug.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

Cool

thanks i'll besure to stop in and get a quote. the infos. been great on this sight im glad i joined it's helping eaise the head scratching.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

Cool cracks in jelcoat

HEY GLASS DAVE i decided im going to visit bottoms up for qote on my boat chine down and i want to paint the top. i plan to break out the air brush and get wild, but i got two areas where there is small spider cracks in jelcoat. now i know if i paint over them they will bleed through is there anyway of repairing them with out buzzing them down and filling them and if i do am i going to have to re jelcoat or can i skim the area with a filler glaze and finish it for paint. i tried to get repair jelcoat down into the cracks and they are to fine to get down in ?

Last edited by rob 221 lib man; 08-03-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: title
Old 08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by rob 221 lib man
HEY GLASS DAVE i decided im going to visit bottoms up for qote on my boat chine down and i want to paint the top. i plan to break out the air brush and get wild, but i got two areas where there is small spider cracks in jelcoat. now i know if i paint over them they will bleed through is there anyway of repairing them with out buzzing them down and filling them and if i do am i going to have to re jelcoat or can i skim the area with a filler glaze and finish it for paint. i tried to get repair jelcoat down into the cracks and they are to fine to get down in ?

well the permanent repair is to V out the area and use a milled fiber mixed with polyester resin or epoxy. than do you final finishing with something like west systems 407. a quick fix is to (believe it or not) take some cheap super glue and put a few drops of the backside of a piece of wetsand paper than smear it over the area in circles as smoothly as you can. let it dry and sand it down with 320. you can go right to paint over that. it actually works pretty good and is a quick fix if you need it, although i have had a bit of luck with it, its still a temporary repair.

Bottoms Up how for are you from Antioch? i am trying to put together a run out that way with some of my friends that have drag jet boats. i have a cousin that lives on one of the rivers and he has been telling me about Blarney Island for years.

Last edited by glassdave; 08-03-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: refurbishing my hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.