Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   30 Scarab Panther Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/172204-30-scarab-panther-paint.html)

ralphspa 10-29-2007 11:50 PM

30 Scarab Panther Paint

Any ideas wha the best paint to use i on the bottom after gelcoat repair? NO antifoling paint!!
I was told either Awl Grip or Imron
Any pro's or con's?
Thanx Ralph

excalibur32 10-30-2007 08:27 AM

Everything new that comes out is better than IMRON, ever notice? IMRON is and alwayswill be the best. . Just be careful to wear a good respirator.

herman 11-02-2007 11:04 PM

In our shop, we only use epoxy on boat bottoms. We have in the past used 2 part urethanes, but they don't hold up like 2 part epoxies. www.offshoregroup.net

ralphspa 11-03-2007 12:56 PM

Herman, what kind or brand epoxy would you use?
Ralph

RBeyer 11-05-2007 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2321854)
Everything new that comes out is better than IMRON, ever notice? IMRON is and alwayswill be the best. . Just be careful to wear a good respirator.

I don't agree. I am a a distributor of Imron and some other DuPont products. Imron is a great product and I painted my last boat with Imron and later painted it again with Standox another DuPont product. After 3 years the Standox looked like the day it was painted the Imron gassed in one year. It did not spend long durations in the water if you leave it in all the time I would consider something else, no automotive/fleet product is recomended below the water line for an extended period.
My $.02
Bob

excalibur32 11-06-2007 10:14 AM

Really, I painted one of my boats over twenty years ago and it still looks like glass, IMRON dark blue metallic.

RBeyer 11-06-2007 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2328645)
Really, I painted one of my boats over twenty years ago and it still looks like glass, IMRON dark blue metallic.

Do you keep it in the water below the water line? This is where it failed.

ralphspa 11-06-2007 09:46 PM

My whole boat is painted Red from top to bottom now but the paint is bubbled on the bottom.Im assuming its imron but not sure.I leave it in the water for a week or two max.Ive painted my chris chraft sides 7 years ago with imron and it still looks awesome.But where the waterline is i can see a few bubbles in the paint there too. Where do i find thi Standox ? Who makes it?
Ralph:cool-smiley-011:

excalibur32 11-07-2007 08:47 AM

sounds like an adhesion problem, pervious pin holes gelblisters etc. What sealent is recommended for below the waterline? not silicone, poleyurathane! IMRON is a polyurathane.

Joe92GT 11-07-2007 09:12 AM

From what I heard when my friend and I researched was that Imron has a great product name. It was, at one point the best, and now people keep asking for it. Current day coating technology/products are much better, and a lot of times cheaper. Ask any Dupont distributer what to use. See if they say IMRON, or another product first.