Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Glassing parts together (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/172470-glassing-parts-together.html)

CN24 11-02-2007 05:52 PM

Glassing parts together

When glassing 2 parts together, example:windscreen to deck or bulkhead to hull:
1- how many layers should you use?
2- Is the 1st layer wider and you step back the next layer, or is the 1st short and the next wider? Or does it matter?
3- How wide are the layers?

Audiofn 11-03-2007 06:42 PM

Yes

Audiofn 11-03-2007 06:43 PM

Sorry to be a smart azz but it is hard to anser that question. Get us some pitcures to work with.

CN24 11-04-2007 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2326462)
Sorry to be a smart azz but it is hard to anser that question. Get us some pitcures to work with.

No problem about the smart-azz thing. I didn't start anything yet so there's no pics to show, just general questions. If your adding a bulkhead for added stength to the hull how many layers of cloth would you use? How far would you tab it in each direction(right angle where the bulkhead joins the hull), and would the overlapping layers start wide and get smaller or short and get wider?

Audiofn 11-04-2007 04:05 PM

I did the same width on mine and just staggered them a couple inches. You do not have to go real far from what I have been told only like 4 inches on each side. You do not want the tabbing edges to end in the same location. Radius the corners it is stronger. Use a filler to accomplish this.

excalibur32 11-06-2007 10:17 AM

Each layer should overlap the one under it. The amount of cloth layers will depend on the thickness of the cloth and strength.

fabricator 11-06-2007 11:28 AM

What about the fit of the piece you are adding? Should it touch the hull - snug, loose, or be spaced away? Should the added piece be 'glued' on, or only use the tabbing to attach it? I've read references to hard spots and distortion. What's the right way?

CN24 11-06-2007 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur32 (Post 2328649)
Each layer should overlap the one under it. The amount of cloth layers will depend on the thickness of the cloth and strength.

I'm guessing the thicker the cloth the less layers needed.

Panther 11-07-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by fabricator (Post 2328713)
What about the fit of the piece you are adding? Should it touch the hull - snug, loose, or be spaced away? Should the added piece be 'glued' on, or only use the tabbing to attach it? I've read references to hard spots and distortion. What's the right way?

It's good practice to add piece of radiused balsa between your bulkhead and the side of the boat, this helps prevent sheer and tear away.

If you go directly to the side of the boat the likelyhood of it pulling away or sheering the glass is higher IMHO>..:ernaehrung004:

Audiofn 11-07-2007 01:09 PM

You can also make your radius with Micro Balloons or even better Cavasil (sp)