using awlgrip on non-skid >

using awlgrip on non-skid

Notices

using awlgrip on non-skid

Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using awlgrip on non-skid

I am painting my swin platform, which is half non-skid and half gelcoat, with awlgrip. Some questions--
1. Do I have to prime the non-skid, or can I just use two coats of roll-then-tip paint?
2. If I need to prime, do I have to use two coats?
3. Do I have to reapply the griptex particles, or will I still have a non-skid surface after painting?
4. Any oher thoughts for this newbie?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I would say that if you are in fact painting the entire platform you will certainly need to prime everything first.

Doing the non-skid is a seperate procedure from the actual painting even though it incorporates 'paint'.

I have always completed all painting and then done the non-skid at the end .

I guess if you are patient and good at masking off you could cover all of the non-skid areas after priming but before you spray your colour coat . Then when that's all fired off you retape the 'other side' of the line and then roll the non-skid out.

It's always best to spray prime the non-skid areas as opposed to rolling the primer on IMO.

When you say 'two coats' are you referring to the colour coat or the non-skid application ?... Oops , just re-read .... I have never done any Awlgripping that only ever needed one coat of primer. You first coat of primer shows you where all your flaws are .. when you've fixed them , then you re-prime ... and repeat ad nauseum ....

Last edited by madbouyz; 03-27-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called awlgrip with the same question. I have not started the project but the gentleman told me if I cleaned it very very good and then used a product called tsp and cleaned again the awlgrip should stick. He said 85% of the time it will work. I am going to do it when I get time. I will be doing the entire floor of my Mainship so redoing the nonskid would be a huge project.

I would call Awlgrip with any questions they are very helpful and should know their product better then anyone.

God luck.