Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Por 15 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/185642-por-15-a.html)

THRILLSEEKER 04-29-2008 06:07 PM

Por 15

Anyone ever use this stuff for an engine paint?

My engine builder swears by it and is trying to talk me into it.

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 06:39 PM

We use it all the time on machinery. I don't know how well it would do with heat though. If you want, I can slop some on some scrap steel and toss it into the shop oven and see. We also use a similar product called Chassis Saver. Costs less and is a little thinner- it flows out better. Chassis Saver comes in a variety of colors too. The downside is that it loses gloss after time and less gloss means dirt sticks easier.

I usually use Rustoleum 9100. The stuff is ridiculously tough and the epoxy is very heat resistant. Any left over from the bilge job?

J-Bonz 04-29-2008 07:34 PM

I used it on the bottom of my Samurai. It burned off when welding around. Make sure to use it the day/month before your wedding, It will still be on there. I will say it doe detour rust but is not what I was hoping for.
Jr.

DKerns 04-29-2008 08:55 PM

If you are using it on your boat motors, I think it would be fine. If it burns off, you got more to worry about than paint!

J-Bonz 04-29-2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DKerns (Post 2542733)
If you are using it on your boat motors, I think it would be fine. If it burns off, you got more to worry about than paint!

Very True..................... :)

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DKerns (Post 2542733)

It's not that it burns off but it doesn't adhere. Then it just peels. You might as well just not paint if what you put on is going to come off. You can put just about anything on a block, it's the heads where you have troubles.

Joe92GT 04-29-2008 09:21 PM

We did my friend's engine. He spent days prepping it, and the por15 did not peal off. However, it rusted right through in a lot of spots.

Very disappointing. This was the por15 high temp engine enamel. One year later we have the engine out, and it looks pretty bad w/the rust.

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 09:47 PM

That's surprising. I have a customer that paints salt truck frames with it- it lasts an absurdly long time (several years) with almost constant bombardment with salt ooze. Maybe the heat?

Didn't know they had a specific engine enamel.

Audiofn 04-29-2008 10:03 PM

POR does not have UV protectant in it as I remember.

Chris Sunkin 04-29-2008 10:10 PM

Yes, true. It just changes color though, it doesn't weaken.