Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   What product is used to Seal Fiber Glass Tank? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/191733-what-product-used-seal-fiber-glass-tank.html)

Maritime_Eng 07-23-2008 11:50 AM

What product is used to Seal Fiber Glass Tank?

I am trying to find the part number of the product used to seal the inside of the Fiberglass tanks. The tanks in my Motion need to be refinished. I heard that Skater is using a product called darakane, but I don't know where to purchase this or what part number to use. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Don

B one 07-23-2008 01:27 PM

PM chris sunkin he knows. I saw a thread he already replied to about this.

RBT 07-23-2008 02:50 PM

Dow Durakane 8084

Maritime_Eng 07-23-2008 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RBT (Post 2632685)
Dow Durakane 8084

Thanks! Do you know where I can buy enough for 2 tanks?

RBT 07-23-2008 03:27 PM

Only in Canada I do, I don't think they will ship to you. But Composites Canada 905 629 3178

It has a VERY short shelf life if you get it promoted, I suspect though that nobody will sell it to you unpromoted... unless you are an organic chemist.... or want to blow yourself up.

Impressive stuff.

RT

RBT 07-23-2008 03:28 PM

Oh, and it is just a tad on the spendy side.

motion110 07-23-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng (Post 2632454)
I am trying to find the part number of the product used to seal the inside of the Fiberglass tanks. The tanks in my Motion need to be refinished. I heard that Skater is using a product called darakane, but I don't know where to purchase this or what part number to use. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Don

Don. Don't waste your time or go for the quick fix. If you do bladders, you will NEVER have a prob. again. There is no way to tell if all the contaminated glass has been cleaned. Always a possible prob. in the future. Tanks can be cleaned and serviced on a regular bassis with bladders! If your tire had a hole, would you trust "fix-a-flat" or get a new one?

Maritime_Eng 07-23-2008 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by motion110 (Post 2633004)
Don. Don't waste your time or go for the quick fix. If you do bladders, you will NEVER have a prob. again. There is no way to tell if all the contaminated glass has been cleaned. Always a possible prob. in the future. Tanks can be cleaned and serviced on a regular bassis with bladders! If your tire had a hole, would you trust "fix-a-flat" or get a new one?

I am just trying to research all avenues. If it is such a patch job why would Skater be doing it on 95% of there boats? I have heard some people having issues with bladders too.

RunninHotRacing163.1 07-23-2008 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng (Post 2633093)
I am just trying to research all avenues. If it is such a patch job why would Skater be doing it on 95% of there boats? I have heard some people having issues with bladders too.

Exactly Maritime , It is not a patch job its a CURE and SKATER is doing a great job with it , the bladders i was told last 3 years and is a bandaid ..............
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunninHotRacing163.1 07-23-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by motion110 (Post 2633004)

If you do bladders, you will NEVER have a prob. again.:eek: So you can predict the future also ????:D:cool-smiley-027: