Notices

Clear Coats???

Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Clear Coats???

Question for the paint experts here.

Opinion on best clear to use for a boat that spends most of the season, 2 to 3 months, in the water?

Having some issues with small blisters below the water line and will be reparing this fall. Have used PPG clears in the past and never had any problems like this on boats that spent their season in the water as well. This boat had this issue when new, when I bought it last fall I was told it had not gotten any worse since it first showed up couple weeks after delivery. I believe they forgot to mention that was while it was on shore on the trailer. It has become more of a problem as the summer has gone along and needs to be fixed. I believe Fountain uses the PPG DBC base, not sure which clear they use though.

If PPG, then which one would be the best to use? What about their ceramic clear?

Also, anyone have experience with Dupont Imron products? Had a conversation yesterday at a local shop with the regional Dupont rep and his recomendation was to use the Imron, but said it's tough to work it, wet sand and buff out, after it cures.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 09-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use BASF Diamont products & PPG.. My main preference out of the 2 is BASF's products, but thats just me.. Real world is that both make top notch products that work well.. Jamie
Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamonte

is the correct spelling. We have seen donzi use it below the water line for over 15 years. My buddy bobbyspring.com as well.

Billy
Old 09-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Commercial Member

MY bad with the spelling Im a bit worn out this weekend.. lol ..

I know Donzi had used them for quite a while. That is one of the reasons we really liked it & felt comfy using soo much. We have been doing Donzis for years & are a certified Donzi Custom & Resto center.

Actually FYI they actually switched to PPG recently @ Donzi which we use as well. But like I said I am still fond of BASF's stuff.. One of the reasons is my distributor for BASF blows away the PPG distributor here thats local to me as far as service is concerned.. But Again they are both top shelf products & for most it is a matter of preference..

Jamie
Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Bottoms Up
is the correct spelling. We have seen donzi use it below the water line for over 15 years. My buddy bobbyspring.com as well.

Billy
Update... DIAMONT

I finally got my second wind this weekend... Hell even with being worn out I was correct.. BASF DOES spell it DIAMONT... It was bugging me, so I thought I would check a can.. I attached a label from the can we just used in the shop on a customers boat.. Oh well no biggie.. I guess when you use it regularly it does stick in your head.. I guess repetition causes you to remeber things some times without even trying.. lol..

I just thought Id pass it along since it appeared that you thought I may have mispelled it earlier..

Jamie..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Coats???-diamont-sm.jpg  

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 09-13-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
Update... DIAMONT

I finally got my second wind this weekend... Hell even with being worn out I was correct.. BASF DOES spell it DIAMONT... It was bugging me, so I thought I would check a can.. I attached a label from the can we just used in the shop on a customers boat.. Oh well no biggie.. I guess when you use it regularly it does stick in your head.. I guess repetition causes you to remeber things some times without even trying.. lol..

I just thought Id pass it along since it appeared that you thought I may have mispelled it earlier..

Jamie..
Jamie, Lift your head, put the paint down and step away from the container.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Jamie, Lift your head, put the paint down and step away from the container.
I know.. I need some rest.. lol J
Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Jamie you miss spelled "remember"....lol.

Imron is also tough as nails and and excellent product.....not for someboby that hasnt sprayed paint though......
its best to have somebody experienced spray it.

mike
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Commercial Member

Damn, I cant catch a break with spelling on this thread... lol

Just my lucky weekend I guess..

As far as the Imron we have done some not a bad product. Like you said there are some things about it to know before you get to it though.. Actually, I think Formula still uses it. But just like everybody I have my fav's as well.. Some like Chevy trucks, Some like Ford trucks.. Jamie
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS

As far as........................

Jamie

The PPG products? Which ones have you had the best luck with in terms of not failing when in the water for extended periods? Do you know which clear Donzi uses? I was looking at a couple new Donzis over the weekend and was impressed by the paint work.

Which Imron clear have you used?

Quick Reply: Clear Coats???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.