Refinishing bottom of hull >

Refinishing bottom of hull

Notices

Refinishing bottom of hull

Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Refinishing bottom of hull

The bottom of my hull is stained. I know this has been gone over a million times but I'm trying to figure out a real solution. The bottom of my hull is no longer glossy. It's kinda chalky and becomes stained easily. Rather than acid washing it every time, I want to fix it. If I wet sand, buff, polish and wax will the gel still stain? Buffing the bottom will be a biatch so I wanna make sure it's worth it before I start.

I thought about using one of those fiberglass refinishing kits like, PolyGlow. But I've heard mixed reviews.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Did you get to Crystal Lake? Mine had some forklift rash so I had Justin do the entire running surface. I had some yellowing also. It came out great but no, it won't last. Best thing is soap and water every time it comes out.
Attached Thumbnails Refinishing bottom of hull-000_0444.jpg   Refinishing bottom of hull-000_0449.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I doubt wet sanding and buffing it will help for very long. How long does the boat sit in the water at any one time???? Best thing would be to have it re gel coated. If it doesn't sit in the water for more than a day at a time, then you could paint and clear it, but new gel would be best.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 AM

I have painted the bottom of 2 boats that I owned in the past. They both held up great. One of them I had for probably 8 years after I painted it with no issues. My boats rarely stay in the water longer than a weekend though.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Registered

The boat never stays in the water longer than the weekend. Maybe a week once or twice a year(hopefully). I dont think having it painted or re gelled are economical choices for me.
Handfulz, I think I'll do what you suggested and just have it buffed and try to keep up with it. Yes, I got my spot reserved. I gotta get my trailer back and it'll be over there by the end of the month.
Funny thing is I think we'll probably use the boat more now since we dont have to be on the marina's schedule. I'm planning on using the ramp at Pioneer Park off of Hillsboro Blvd. I've seen some bigger boats use that ramp. Is there any better place close by?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Registered

I have a 98 fountain that I use in the chesapeake bay in Md.
Mostly I hang out in a river and after a day on the water it has a scum line on it and by the end of the season the gel has a yellowish brown stain but not extremely bad.
Every end of the season like now I take my boat off the trailor and clean the sides and bottom with Marykate rust stain remover. They tell you to brush it on but I put it a spray bottle and use it like a spray gun. (It really speeds things up) doing a section at a time I let it set a few minutes then wash it with soap. After its clean I use 2 coats of meguires 45 polish and 2 coats of 3M scotchguard marine liquid wax. If used as directed they are easy to work with and it lasts almost all season before you see any discoloration. Note most people think my boat is about 2 years old but....my middle name is anal
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by brwn234
The bottom of my hull is stained. I know this has been gone over a million times but I'm trying to figure out a real solution. The bottom of my hull is no longer glossy. It's kinda chalky and becomes stained easily. Rather than acid washing it every time, I want to fix it. If I wet sand, buff, polish and wax will the gel still stain? Buffing the bottom will be a biatch so I wanna make sure it's worth it before I start.

I thought about using one of those fiberglass refinishing kits like, PolyGlow. But I've heard mixed reviews.

what year is your boat and what is it? As gel gets older it can get somewhat porous and tend to stain easily. Unfortunately the best solution it to re gel it but most times its not practical. Best choice for paint is going to be something like Awlgrip.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Glassdave would know better than I with gelcoat age, but I've used a simple spray wax on mine about twice a year and it really helps keep the staining down. Eventually the stuff wears off and the yellow is back big time, just on/off it again and re-wax in keeps it clean til the end of the year.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

t500 what kind of spray wax are you using? I boat in some pretty murky water if i run up any of the rivers here in lake erie and i get some pretty bad discoloration that only comes off with muriatic acid. I dont keep the boat in the water and would like to spray something on it before i put it in.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll have to check, It's nothing special. We boat in a nasty river too but the boat is only in the water overnight when I'm sleeping on it (8-10 nights a year). If I coat/wax it in the winter it's usually yellowed pretty good by the end of june. Clean and coat it again then it's the end of the summer before it's bad again.

Quick Reply: Refinishing bottom of hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.