Engine Hatch Build >

Engine Hatch Build

Notices

Engine Hatch Build

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Hatch Build

Hoping to get some advice on building a new engine hatch for a Baja 270. I had my original replaced last year with 3/4" Marine plywood and new vinyl, but it is too heavy, and the sunpad is getting dorked up with everyone getting on and off the boat. I was considering replacing it with a fiberglass hatch to try and cut down on weight and to be more durable. From the other posts on this subject, and my limited experience with fiberglassing, I was thinking of a Coosa core and fiberglass to finish it. The piece would be roughly 6.5'x5'. Does Coosa make a core that is structurally strong enough to just put a finish layer of glass along with the fiberglass underside I already have. Is this a bad idea? I dont have enough experience to do the high speed stuff with molds, etc, and the shape is so easy I thought this might be a simple solution. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on here, I am pretty sure there are a couple of threads with step by step instructions.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a wife or girlfriend that is going to miss the soft sun deck when they are Tanning there beautiful bodies
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Ill keep researching the threads for some specifics. It maybe something I need to find a good glass shop to do. Anyone know a good one in SW Arizona?

Wife may miss the sunpad, but she wont miss my b****ing about the spills, footprints, etc that I am always scrubbing.